G oog le BadWeB | Login/out | Topics | Search | Custodians | Register | Edit Profile

Buell Forum » Quick Board » Crusty's Travels « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive 2016 - 2018Adrenaline_junkie2610 88 12-30-18  08:11 am
Archive through September 10, 2019Crusty30 09-10-19  11:33 am
Archive through August 29, 2019Ourdee30 08-29-19  10:12 am
Archive through August 08, 2019Crusty30 08-08-19  10:38 am
Archive through July 23, 2019Natexlh100030 07-23-19  01:23 pm
Archive through July 12, 2019Crusty30 07-12-19  12:50 pm
Archive through June 30, 2019Crusty30 06-30-19  05:00 pm
Archive through June 18, 201904buell30 06-18-19  08:03 am
Archive through May 30, 2019Crusty30 05-30-19  09:16 pm
Archive through May 04, 201986129squids30 05-04-19  02:13 pm
Archive through April 09, 2019Ourdee30 04-09-19  08:31 pm
Archive through April 03, 2019Crusty30 04-03-19  10:41 am
Archive through March 26, 2019Glitch30 03-26-19  06:33 am
Archive through March 14, 201986129squids30 03-14-19  12:48 am
Archive through March 01, 2019Ourdee30 03-01-19  06:34 pm
Archive through February 18, 2019Johnnylunchbox30 02-18-19  02:14 pm
Archive through February 03, 2019Ratbuell30 02-03-19  04:45 pm
Archive through January 26, 2019Crusty30 01-26-19  08:14 am
Archive through January 07, 201904buell30 01-07-19  03:11 pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ourdee
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2019 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

HAPPY "B"day in 12!

Crusty
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2019 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Looking Ahead

Itís 34 days until Buelltoberfest. Matthew has started posting a daily count down on Badweb. Iím really looking forward to going. Two Wheels of Suches is my all-time favorite campground. Itís a great place thatís run by really good people in a beautiful part of the country. Also, to make things even better, there will be several friends from Badweb there.

I will probably not participate in many of the group rides. In nine days, I will officially become an old fart. I turn 69 on the 22nd. Iíve slowed down quite a bit. My riding skills are nowhere near as sharp as they once were. That accident last spring really did a lot to slowing me down. Iím not riding like a little old man, but Iím not getting the pleasure I used to get from going as fast as I used to like. I still love riding, but my pace is much slower. I can still travel at a brisk pace and do, but that pace isnít up to ďContemporary Professional StandardsĒ. Well; Iím used to traveling to the beat of my own drummer. I can still enjoy riding in my ďComfort ZoneĒ.

The real reason I go is the people. I really enjoy hanging out with everybody there. Everyone has their own distinct personality, but they are all fun to be with and they all have a positive view on life. And they will all bend over backwards to help each other, or even strangers. I remember watching the whole crew trying to get Froggyís starter to work (and Gregís patient persistence at it until he got it sorted).

Or the guy on the Yamaha who had a bald flat tire. There were plug kits and compressors in abundance trying to get him up and running.

I donít drink, but I really get a kick out of Matthewís amazing assortment of whiskeys; both single malt and blends. Some of them must have cost a serious chunk of change; but he shares them willingly with everyone who wishes.

I donít want to get into naming everyone and their attributes, but I have been helped many times by people there, in many ways. I really look forward to seeing them all, and I feel both proud and humbled to be accepted as part of this particular group. I consider them all to be very good friends.

It doesnít hurt that Jimís Smokiní Que is close by. Itís my favorite place for ribs. Their ribs are good enough that they donít need sauce to taste great. But they are wonderful with Jimís own sauces. There are other BBQ joints in the area, but Iíve never tried them. Maybe someday, when Jimís sells out, I will.

I think that, unless the weather sucks, Iím going to take all secondary roads down and split the ride into two days. Iíll ride to Cumberland Falls Campground in the Daniel Boone National Forest and camp there overnight. Unfortunately, I wonít be there to see a Moonbow, but Iím hoping that the campground will be fairly empty while Iím there. I think it will; Iíll be there in the middle of the week. Not too many people go camping in the middle of the week in October. Except maybe in Florida, but I have no desire to go that far south.

Anyhow, Iíll have an easy, low mileage day each day on the way down. I havenít plotted my ride home yet, but Iím thinking that maybe I should take a route that covers different areas. Iíve got over a month to check out different roads and campgrounds online, so Iíll think about it some more.

In the meantime, I have a Meet-N-Eat to attend on Sunday the 22nd of September. Thatís another event that Iím looking forward to a lot. Joeís going to be there with his reacquired Roadster (he sold it, then missed it; so he bought another, made it look pretty, traded it for a Softail, then traded the Softail for his original Roadster. If that sounds both crazy and convoluted, itís because it is. However, Joe has his Roadster back. Paulís going to ride down from Michigan, and Jcolleyoh is coming. I donít know who else is going to be there. Paul mentioned that he might bring along some members of the Posse. Quite a few folks have stated on the forum that they canít make it. Since I was the one who broached the idea, I considered canceling or rescheduling it, but no matter when it gets scheduled, there will be people who canít attend. I fell back to my old position of, ďAt such a time and place, Iím going to be there. If there are others who wish to join me, that would be great! If nobody else shows up, thatís OK, too. Iíll still have a good time.Ē With Joe, Paul and Jcolleyoh, I think weíll have fun. If more folks show up, weíll have more fun!

Anyhow; I have to get ready and go out. I hope everybody has a Great Day today on Friday the 13th!

Ourdee
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2019 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Nice. I plan on having an amazing time in Ga. I wanted to take 2 days to get there. But, I wound up with a commitment that takes a day off the front. So, I will be teaming up with someone to remedy that. Wish that I could show up a week early. I am already thinking a year ahead for a two week ride ending at Two's. I need to get on it.

Posted on Friday, September 13, 2019 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Anyhow; I have to get ready and go out. I hope everybody has a Great Day today on Friday the 13th!

INDUBITABLY!

Crusty
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2019 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Strange Moods

Iíve been having some really strange mood swings over the past few days. I go from obsessing about my bike to obsessing about the house then back.

Iím undecided about whether I should rebuild the engine in the Roadster using first rate and long lived parts, or whether it would be better to buy a new Roadster and change things around to suit me. I weigh the pros and cons of both possibilities and both have their merits. The merits of the better suspension, better brakes and fuel injection are countered by having an engine thatís been gone through with an eye toward durability and reliability.

Then, I start thinking about the house. There are a lot of changes and improvements that Iíd like to make. New paint in the bedroom and kitchen and new carpet and Iíd like to make the one bedroom into two; as it originally was. I also want to rebuild the bathroom. Get rid of the bath tub and have a nice shower with a seat. Get rid of the ceramic tiles and have smooth sheet plastic for the shower walls, put in a new vanity and sink and get rid of those damned cherubs.

And then I wonder if it might not be better to just sell the house and buy another that wonít need as many changes. When my thoughts go there, I think about how I was convinced that I was meant to live in this house; that I belong here. If I were to sell this place, the wraiths from Raiders of the Lost Ark would start floating around me and make my face melt, or something equally unpleasant.

Now, my recent impoverished status is because Iíve been focusing on getting my debt paid down. Having to spend myself broke replacing the lead pipe is only part of it. If I wasnít pouring so much money into paying off my credit card and paying off the loan for the furnace, Iíd be comfortable, financially. However, at the Loan Shark interest rates Capital 1 is charging, I just want to get out from under ASAP. I gave them almost $1,200 in Interest last year. That alone is almost enough for a down payment on a new Roadster. When you add in the amount I pay monthly, I could buy the bike and have it paid off in short order.

So, lately, my thought have been jumping from the bike to the house and back.

Yesterday, I was cruising through Craigslist, looking at assorted things, motorcycles, tools of different types and even furniture when I spotted an ad for an electric hedge trimmer for cheap. Now this is the last week of the month and IĎve spent myself real close to flat broke. Iím not really concerned too much because thereís a lot of food in the freezer, but cash is sparse. Still, I wanted that trimmer so I decided to look in the Laundry Jar.

When I got my washer and dryer, Don advised me to take the money I spent at the Laundromat each week and put it in a jar and save it. Iíve been doing that and Iíve used the money to fund a few trips. It paid for my trip to Daytona, last year and it helped pay for my trip to Massachusetts this past July. I had emptied the jar in July, but I had put $20.00 in the jar in August, so I took that and went over to Florence, Kentucky and bought a used hedge Trimmer. The guy (Darryl) selling it had a bunch of yard tools and the one I really want to go back and get was the weed whacker. Itís got a two stroke engine; itís not electric and he only wants $40.00 for it. Darrylís a bit older than me and he understands that Iím living on a small fixed income, so when I told him that I get my next SS payment in a week and Iíd be calling him then, he said heíd be happy to save it for me.

Before I bought the trimmer, I was thinking pretty strongly about going up to Velvet Smoke and trying their chicken for a meal. Supposedly, itís really good (according to reviews on Google). I guess Iíll just have to wait until next week to try it.

After I bought the trimmer and bungeed it down on the bike, I decided to skip the Interstate and took back roads over to the Anderson Ferry and crossed the River on it. People sure give you some long looks when youíre on a bike with a hedge Trimmer strapped to it. They also gave me more room than is usual. I didnít mind that at all. I wonder if they thought Iíd attack them with it if they screwed with me?

Iíll have to borrow Davidís car for a couple of hours next week so I can go pick up the weed whacker. Thereís no way I really want to carry a six foot long yard tool on the back of the Roadster. I probably could figure out a way to do it, but if I can borrow Davidís car, I think it would be easier.

In any event, IĎm still in a strange mood. I was watching both Pale Rider and Murphyís Romance on the idiot box. Iíd watch one until the long ad break, then switch to the other until it had an ad break. At first, the ads were at different times, but eventually the breaks were in sync. Finally, I got sick of the ads telling me that I could receive significant financial compensation if I took certain unpronounceable drugs or if I was exposed to Round Up weed killer or I had to watch all those poor, mistreated animals that I could help for only 19 bucks a month or the newest Hemp product to help me sleep better (itís Natural!); so I shut the TV off and started hacking this out.

I feel better now.

Ourdee
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2019 - 01:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I wish I could get compensated for the migraines I got from Round-Up.

Crusty
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2019 - 06:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I wish I could get compensated for the migraines I got from Round-Up.

Contact Dewey, Cheatham and Howe, P.C. They'll get a bundle. You'll make $0.67 net.
« Previous Next »

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous" (Valid reason required. Abusers will be exposed. If unsure, ask.)
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Rules | Program Credits Administration