G oog le BadWeB | Login/out | Topics | Search | Custodians | Register | Edit Profile

Buell Forum » THUMPer Forum  

Buell Blast Forum - Buell Blast Motorcycles - Buell Blast Discussion

Welcome to the Buell Blast Forum aka the "THUMPer Forum".

For Buell Blast P3 American Thumper-Cycle related questions, technical discussions, and information. Come on in and get some THUMP! : ]

Buell Blast Owner's Manuals (courtesy Buell Motorcycle Co.):
2005 Buell Blast Owner's Manual
2006 Buell Blast Owner's Manual
2007 Buell Blast Owner's Manual
2008 Buell Blast Owner's Manual
2009 Buell Blast Owner's Manual

Got THUMP?

THUMPer Forum: The Buell Blast Forum on BadWeB (for Buell enthusiasts)

to store and compare Blast fuel economy.

Please feel free to add your data to the database. It's very easy and lets you track your mileage and compare to all other Blasts in the database. Please use your forum name when you enter your data.

This is a link to the Blast MPG Data Page

This is a link to the data entry form

Bookmark the form for ease of use.

Enjoy!

Please Note!!!!!!
We are in no way responsible for any damage that may occur in the advice given to help you fix or 'improve' your bike. We are here to try and help, but that does not make us libel for any actions resulting in that advice, you could easily go elsewhere and ask for other opinions, and act accordingly.
Thank you for understanding.

Just cuz - Manuals -
http://buellmods.com/downloads/viewcategory/8-manu als
EZ

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Questions from New Buell Blast Riders - ThumperFAQDaninr81227 61 04-30-15  09:06 am
BLASTARDS ARE WE
Who we are and what makes us tick!
Please feel free to add to the list!
Ezblast479 17 11-03-14  10:45 pm
Got Thump? (Buell Blast Photos)
For sharing photos of Buell Blast Motorcycles (Thumpers in the House)
Ezblast3231 110 05-15-15  04:40 am
Buell Blast Thumper Knowledge Vault
From Carbs to Customizing to High Performance & Racing - All the tech & tricks for Buell Blast Motorcycles, find advice & answers here - or post your questions!
Vsingle24864 1412 05-27-15  11:59 pm
Blasting Away - The Thumper Quick board
For unique exploration of ideas involving our Thumper!
Tiltcylinder7043 682 04-18-15  05:27 pm
Buell Blast Racing!(and track days)Vicenzajay989 39 05-26-15  11:01 am
Thumper Tales (Tales From the Darkside!)
Ride Reports, Tales of Adventure, "Blasting on the Dark Side", & other stories of Buell Blast Thumpercycling.
Ezblast1778 65 04-06-15  02:59 pm
Buell Blast Recalls, Tech Bulletins, Notices, & Concerns
The Buell BLAST! is a great motorcycle, however no bike is perfect - here is a place to post official recalls, tech bulletins, notices, and concerns related to the Buell Blast.
Paul2281222 09-02-13  09:18 pm
Blasting Around (Buell Blast Riding Groups)
Local and regional forums for meeting, greeting, and riding with fellow Buell Blasters (Thumpaholics)
Daddyblaize584 97 05-20-15  04:18 pm
Pay It Forward: Blasting Goodness! (Trades Welcome!)
Pay It Forward - Buell Blast Parts & Gear: For assistance or to help your fellow Buell Blast riders when in need.

Marksblast324 13 05-22-15  07:05 pm
Buell Blast Motorcycle Classifieds...
Buell Blast Motorcycles, Parts, Gear, Accessories - For Sale or Wanted
J_copeland2528 526 05-28-15  09:55 am
Blastphemy!
For non Buell discussions, questions or pictures that do not pertain to Buell.
Patches413 14 04-05-15  08:10 pm
ArchivesEzblast16100 552 03-15-14  05:08 pm
Archive through May 20, 2015Gashaw4030 05-20-15  06:11 pm
Archive through April 28, 2015Marksblast30 04-28-15  09:46 pm
Archive through April 10, 2015Ezblast30 04-10-15  06:46 pm
Archive through April 01, 2015Chief_ten_bears30 04-01-15  12:17 pm
Archive through February 21, 2015Ezblast30 02-21-15  02:37 pm
Archive through December 23, 2014Ezblast30 12-23-14  12:47 am
Archive through October 08, 2014Ezblast30 10-08-14  11:10 pm
Archive through September 14, 2014Marksblast30 09-14-14  09:30 pm
Archive through August 10, 2014Ezblast30 08-10-14  02:30 am
Archive through July 05, 2014Gearheaderiko30 07-05-14  09:12 am
Archive through June 04, 2014Ezblast30 06-04-14  04:04 am
Archive through April 22, 2014Ezblast30 04-22-14  01:21 am
Archive through April 10, 2014Uneasy_rider30 04-10-14  11:16 pm

Please visit the "Got Thump?" section for pics of various Buell Blasts; check out our "Knowledge Vault" for Buell Blast technical questions, look in "Blasting Around" to find who is in your area for rides and "hi!"'s; visit "Blasting Away" to see unique ideas involving the Blast, and visit the "Dark Side" for tales of Blasting adventure! Post at the bottom of the page here for anything else or just to say hi! Welcome and enjoy! : )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chipmyers
Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Funny Thing,
I emailed Dan a few days ago myself. He said he took the Ebay store down this week because the holiday weekend. What's a holiday weekend?

Gashaw40
Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Memorial Day, Monday , so hopefully it'll be back up next week?

Kenny_gilgore
Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

EZ,

Any word from Lee on his progress with the BRO site?

Kenny G

Marksblast
Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I have tightened my super boot to 110 in.lbs. 14Nm.
it had been on for about 4 months now. No problem
This week, it popped out of the manifold end.
Twice. With a Pop on startup.
Is it just not tight enough. Maybe loosened with time.
Or is this some other issue.
Bike runs fine.
I have just been tweaking the Idle Mix & Idle Speed.
But not that much one way or the other.

I know Dan said he has no torque spec for it. Just tighten...

Vicenzajay
Posted on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Mark,

Kenny and I both face this problem - the superboot setup sometimes does this.

What Kenny and I do is use rosin (find it at a sports supply store) and blue loktite in order to secure the clamp. Put the rosin on both the metal surface and the groove in the super boot. It does work...but about once a month or so, I take the whole thing apart, dry off the surfaces, reapply rosin powder, then re-tighten everything.

This has kept me from popping off the carb for some time now.

Jay

Kenny_gilgore
Posted on Friday, May 22, 2015 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Mark,

The key to making the rosin work is having both the rubber boot,the metal manifold, and the carburetor clean and dry before applying the rosin. I clean with lacquer thinner and then soapy water and then dry with a hair dryer.

Dan has a spring shown on his website and a tool to install the spring that helps keep the carburetor in place.

Kenny G

Ezblast
Posted on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 01:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

lol - Dan is still going, but it is just one guy making those so they take time - lol - check his store linked to ebay and you'll find he's still selling - lol -
BRO is back up and 70 percent fully functional - still working on uploading stuff.
EZ

Marksblast
Posted on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

The Rosin for the 'boot' is an awesome Tip! Thank you, thank you.
I do have Dan's Spring Idea 'bookmarked' I will look at trying to rig something up. Not a bad thing to have on.

Safe Memorial Day riding.

Vicenzajay
Posted on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Just a note - I have had a spring setup since the beginning of putting Dan's system on my carb, and it still popped off.

I think what has really done the trick for me is the "clean and dry and rosin it" approach. That has been the most successful by far.

Just a note - after the bike cools down (like during the evening) I ALWAYS go back out to the garage and take 10 seconds to tighten up the clamp just a bit. That has also helped keep these incidents to an absolute minimum.

Lastly - thank KennyG for the rosin tip in general. He's the originator of it, and last year this time (when I was tearing my hair out with the carb popping off the bike) his advice kept me sane.

Marksblast
Posted on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Sanity is everything Jay ; -)
Thanks Kenny, good on you.

Mine popped off on start up. So no worry about losing it ; -). Tighten often, is pretty smart and easy too.

Not at all to discount the 'super boot', it is Super. To anyone who is going to go that route.
Dan's been great and All parts he makes are the 'best'.
110% highly recommended !
Heim Stabilizer, love it.

Marksblast
Posted on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Jay, you say you have a spring on.
I was looking at Dan's and know I have seen one like that. I may have even had one in my tool-kit.
What is that spring name?

Vicenzajay
Posted on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Mark,

I don't know...I didn't buy mine from Dan...I just went to Ace Hardware and bought a stiff spring that worked to brace the carb from heim joint to throttle quadrant.

If nothing else, it helps hold the carb in place as well as somewhat minimize the effects of the thumper's vibration.

Marksblast
Posted on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Ok,
I'll just take the pic from Dan.

http://buellridersonline.com/forum/showthread.php? t=8993&page=13&p=68158&viewfull=1#post68158

I think it is a spring that is used for something else.
I'm all good with that. Small detail/job for the added safety, security.
Many thanks!

Kenny_gilgore
Posted on Saturday, May 23, 2015 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Mark,

I just used the pic from Dan and printed it out and took it, along with a tape measure, to ACE Hardware and matched it up from their spring box.

If you do it that way the springs at ACE have numbers and maybe you could post the number here for future reference.

Kenny G

Marksblast
Posted on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

No ACE here in Vancouver, Canada ; -).
But I did go to Home Depot. Did not find it.
I'll keep looking. I just now realized where I know that spring.
It is from a Bass drum pedal. And I did have one lying around at one time. darn! Don't know if it would be strong enough. Will see. Let all know.
I just may find Rosin powder and the spring at the music shop? That would be sweet...music ; -).

Ezblast
Posted on Monday, May 25, 2015 - 01:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Auto parts stores sell springs.
EZ

Marksblast
Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I picked up some Rosin. Guy at the music store, just did not understand ; -).
No spring, but I have not passed a Auto store yet.
Question, I still can't get my throttle to snap back.
But what is the 'wheel' that turns under the starter button/silver and the cable out.
Not the throttle or idle cables. The other.
I have the Service Manual. I must be missing it.

Ezblast
Posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 04:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Also a throttle wheel at the carb. - sometimes the lines get bined check passage.
EZ

Marksblast
Posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Can you put of a little 3-1 oil on that carb wheel?
The throttle, rolls back slowly. It just does not snap back. As it did.
What is the little silver wheel under the starter button?

Picked up this at the Auto Parts store. It is a Clutch return spring. They don't sell singles.
I can bend the long end. And the other is hooked, like Dan's. 5$ for two. Anyone want one. I'll put it in a envelope.

spring

Ezblast
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 04:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/cgibin/discus/show .cgi?tpc=20164&post=1040453#POST1040453%20
Please Note: You should not run an aftermarket intake (even the Buell Pro Series) without bracing the carb in some fashion - Most recommend Matching carb springs for cars (loop on one side, spring middle, flat length on the other end) - one each side of the carb to the head (yes - 2 holes would need to be drilled). Other brackets have also been run - usually resulting in premature intake boot failure. The spring on the left gets looped on the hard vacuum line off the carb and the flat side of the spring is fed through a hole drilled on the bottom left head fin facing the carb. The right spring gets looped over the carb body pertubrence (where the Sporster accelerator pump would go)sticking out the right side - the loop fits over very snuggly, but it does fit and again fit flat side of spring through hole drilled in bottom fin of head and secure. You want spring tightness to be firm resisting pressure when you try to pull the carb from the boot - clamps loose for this test of course. Make sure clamps, including airfilter cover clamp are tight.

The carb springs are a common item used to sinc carbs in cars - come 2 in a package - a loop on one side and flat wire on the other - the loops going over the top of the secondary jet housing (note a Blast does not have a secondary jetting, however, it still has the housing for such - you can see it clearly in the middle picture) -just fits- and the flat wire side goes in a little hole you drill on the bottom corner of the bottom head cooling fin facing the carb, the other loop going over the vacuum side plugged line to the opposite corner where the other hole is drilled. Loop the flat wire side through the holes and secure with a light equal tension on both sides holding carb securely to boot.
This link gives the best pictures - took me a while to find -
EZ

Th3wizard
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Hello. I am new to riding and the blast is my first bike. I purchased from a Harley dealership in late April 2015. It was used in the MSF course and has about 3500 miles on it now. I've run into an issue with the starter and idle. When the bike is warm after riding it stalls when I come to a stop unless I stay on the throttle. Then when I try to start it up again it makes one loud click but doesn't crank at all. I've found that hitting the solenoid with a wrench gets it to crank. It runs fine and starts up perfectly when cold. If anyone has a solution it would be greatly appreciated.

Th3wizard

Ezblast
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Check front ground for cleanliness and tightness, and intake coupler for cracks.
EZ

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous" (Valid reason required. Abusers will be exposed. If unsure, ask.)
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Rules | Program Credits Administration