|Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2021 - 01:49 am: ||
A little update. Have well over a 1,000 miles on new motor now. Yesterday noted I could barely get throttle to open. Which explains why it was kinda gutless. Pulled airbox off and found cables and hoses restricting throttle. Pushed, pulled and rearranged them. Bike is once again the fire breathing road eater it's supposed to be. Installing the new motor resulted in cables not being as compact as from factory.
No sign of clutch weep, am hoping. There were several changes from '09 motor, will see.
Series rectifier/regulator continues to function great with well over 10,000 miles on it. Will feel fully satisfied when I hit 20,000.
Front brake is feeling like a steel wool treatment might be a good idea.
So I ramble on up and down the coast.
|Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2021 - 02:04 am: ||
Forgot, ignition switch looks to be failing again. Will be second time. First time I used original switch assembly connector and a toggle switch wired up to replace ignition switch while I waited for replacement. This time will just put it in and leave it. Rig toggle kind of out of sight. Attached to fairing spider. Would have been nice if Buell had spent a few more bucks for better parts. Applies to wheel bearings too.
As time passes from Oct 2009 getting parts is going to become a major problem. Not all that great now.
|Posted on Friday, September 24, 2021 - 01:44 am: ||
Checked the log book. Compufire VR and stator combo have 19,600 miles on them. The '10 motor came without stator and left side case.
|Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2021 - 01:07 pm: ||
Iím still attempting to find the source of my vibrations but Iím not having any real trouble finding parts. A little slower to get maybe but that is across the board for everything. The belts do cause worry a bit but thatís a bridge Iíll cross if I get there.
The heat seems to be the biggest issue for charging on my bike, when coolant temp goes up, battery voltage goes down, but nothing that seems to be causing issues with my set-up currently.
I switched to the CR set up and havenít been having any issues with the key/ignition since. When running the R front end I rewired the ignition key way making it longer and looping it back on itself to allow for better flexibility. Might help and I can send a pic if interested.
I was having some pulsing and hit the front rotor with steel wool/scotch brite and it cleaned right up. Others have smacked the mounting points with a rubber mallet which seems to help too.
Iíd really like to get rid of the vibes but have to wait until I get another vehicle before I can really tear into the engine. Rode it all over yesterday (about 250 miles) and really enjoyed it but the vibes can be tiresome. It may be a winter project if I can get a few other things sorted prior but similar to what it sounds like youíre doing Iíll just ride it until it breaks and then fix and keep going.
It is interesting seeing all the newer bikes that are similarly styled to my now CR motoring around. Hopefully I can keep mine road worthy for a fair bit of time longer.