G oog le BadWeB | Login/out | Topics | Search | Custodians | Register | Edit Profile

Buell Forum » Old School Buell » Archive through September 01, 2017 » RS1200 RSS1200 Fuel Tank by AirTech Streamlining « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

89rs1200
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Evening All,
Well I bought a new tank for my RS1200 from www.airtech-streamlining.com for a lot of money and it does not fit. The tank is just too narrow at the back by over an inch. The "skirt" at the back does not flair out as much as my original. If it was too wide, no problem, but too narrow will never fit! Thought about cutting the Right side to clear the rear head but that would be a three inch cut up the side!
I am trying to work with them to resolve this and would like to ask the community to assist in answering questions.
My questions are:
* Is the 1989 RS1200 tank different some how from the later RS1200 tanks?
* Any suggestions for a fix?

RS1200_Bottom_Inside_New

RS1200_Bottom_Inside_Orig

RS1200_Bottom_New

RS1200_Bottom_Orig

RS1200_Orig_Bottom_CylCut2

RS1200_Top_New

RS1200_Top_Orig

Court
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 04:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

The good news is that we, among Badwebbers, have many resources and bikes from which to take measurements.

I think you have taken the right approach by offering to lend knowledge and support to getting it right.

We know there is, and will continue to be, a market for replacement tanks.

Upthemaiden
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I think the general issue I've seen with people replacing bodywork parts on these bikes, is that nothing is ever exactly the same. People have had problems matching up pieces and getting them to fit together perfectly, part of the *charm* of owning a hand built bike.

K12pilot
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

That certainly sucks!!

I has a similar issue with them, quality sucks, I forced them to take it back with the threat of disputing the charge.

I know this does not help you...sorry ((

Natexlh1000
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

You think it will soften if you roast it with a hair dryer?
Like heat it up, spread it out a bit and then cool it down?

>>edit...
Nevermind I didn't see that it had a huge gap in the back.

(Message edited by natexlh1000 on July 28, 2017)

Blks1l
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Not that you want to have to modify a new part, but being unfamiliar with these tanks are all of the spots where it is not correct in dry parts of the tank? If so you could do some fiberglass work, it is pretty easy to work with if a bit messy though.

Johnod
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

There is a guy on the Chop Cult forum, goes by Dragstews, had/has the same problem.
And this to say about it, dunno if he figured it out.

Their tank was pure "JUNK" ....

I had at least 12 other people that are Hot-Rod boys come and look at it.... Not only did it not fit but was made with wrong fittings, no threads in the vent screw and being so thin of glass at the bottom of the tank...

They also lied to me saying that the RS tanks was made from the OG mold that Buell used.... That was complete Bullshit .... They made the mold from an existing tank...

It had the decals sticking up from the tank...

Those Boys are a sorry excuse for cheating, stealing and making a product that can't even be used...

I do have a $715 wall clock now...

Firemanjim
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 01:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Airtech bodywork has always been iffy, and the owner has a bit of a temper--here is a pic of my bike on his website-- I called him out for using it without my permission, too funny!!~
http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/buell/S11996-9 8.htm
It is the one with the flaming "finger"

Williamscottrobertson
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Wow, so professional

K12pilot
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

It had the decals sticking up from the tank...

the one I sent back did as well...

« Previous Next »

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and custodians may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous" (Valid reason required. Abusers will be exposed. If unsure, ask.)
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Rules | Program Credits Administration