G oog le BadWeB | Login/out | Topics | Search | Custodians | Register | Edit Profile

Buell Forum » Quick Board » Snippets « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through January 12, 2021Crusty30 01-12-21  05:54 pm
Archive through January 01, 2021Crusty30 01-01-21  05:00 pm
Archive through December 26, 2020Zac4mac30 12-26-20  09:52 pm
Archive through November 29, 202086129squids30 11-29-20  09:52 am
Archive through November 11, 2020Pwnzor30 11-11-20  12:54 pm
Archive through October 18, 2020Crusty30 10-18-20  02:23 pm
Archive through September 29, 2020Froggy30 09-29-20  09:15 am
Archive through September 15, 2020Ourdee30 09-15-20  11:31 pm
Archive through August 29, 2020Crusty30 08-29-20  10:55 am
Archive through July 09, 2020Ourdee30 07-09-20  06:17 pm
Archive through June 17, 2020Ourdee30 06-17-20  09:44 am
Archive through May 17, 2020Crusty30 05-17-20  10:27 am
Archive through May 12, 2020Cupcake_mike30 05-12-20  10:32 pm
Archive through May 01, 2020Adrenaline_junkie30 05-01-20  04:31 pm
Archive through April 20, 2020Blake30 04-20-20  02:04 am
Archive through April 16, 2020Crusty30 04-16-20  08:25 pm
Archive through April 14, 2020Crusty30 04-14-20  05:17 pm
Archive through March 05, 2020Pwnzor30 03-05-20  07:33 pm
Archive through February 13, 2020H0gwash30 02-13-20  09:41 am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pwnzor
Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2021 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Fabulous.

If that bike was for sale at a dealership I would have a tough time walking away from it.

Two_seasons
Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2021 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Beautiful Crusty.

I don't know if one will fit, but have you considered a center stand?

If you are out in the middle of nowhere, it could make sense.

Thunderrat
Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2021 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Crusty,

Excellent job That is a fine looking sporty. I love what you did to the front fender: and a proper rear fender. Here is to safe travels on that sweet bike............ted

Griffmeister
Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2021 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Gonna be tough to keep your eyes on the road when youíre constantly looking down at the bike.

Crusty
Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2021 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Route Planning

This afternoon, Iím going to ride up to Middletown to check out The Jug as a possible location for a Meet & Eat.

I have a pattern that Iíve been falling into when it comes to going places. I donít want to take the same roads in opposite directions; Iíd rather make the route a circle. I also tend to take the fastest and most direct way there, then take secondary roads home.

So thatís how my route started. Iíll take I-75 to The Jug. Itíll get me there quickly. But when I started planning my route home, I started noticing things along the way as I tried to avoid highways. If I take a left out of the parking lot and follow Central St. into town, I can pick up OH Rt. 4 and take that towards home.

Rt.4 takes me past Jungle Jimís, eventually. And Jimís has Chilean cherries on sale for $3.99/Lb. So I think Iíll stop and pick some up. I love cherries, so I think I know what Iíll be snacking on tonight.

Now, usually when I go to the Jungle, Iíll take I-275 towards home. but it will be close to rush hour when I get there, so Iíd rather take secondary roads. As I was plotting my route home, I saw that I would be going by Powder Coating Specialty. I plan to have the saddlebag mounting brackets powder coated after the brackets have been modified and Iím not sure if I need to get the chrome bead blasted off first, or if they do it as part of the process. So I think Iíll stop and ask. The last thing I noticed was that my route takes me past Velvet Smoke BBQ.

That has me in a bit of a spin. If I eat at the Jug, I wonít be eating dinner; it will be late enough in the afternoon to be considered a Linner. Plus, Iíll be eating a bunch of cherries this evening. Thatís fine, but the idea of getting some Burnt Ends really appeals. Maybe I should just go check out the Jug and not eat? But then; how can I give it a decent review? I mean, if I donít eat there, how can I recommend it as a possible Meet & Eat location?

Maybe what I should do is eat at The Jug, then hit Velvet Smoke tomorrow before the weather turns to sh*t on Friday. That makes the most sense, except that this is a very lean month. Not only is it a five week month, but Property Tax is due this month and taxes have gone up. Plus, my NRA membership is up for renewal. I guess I can wait to hit VS until I get my next SS deposit. Thatís less than 2 weeks from now.

Anyhow; the sun is shining! itís going to be a nice day for a ride and I have three destinations to hit on the Gentlemanís Express.

Itís going to be a Good Day!

Wolfridgerider
Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2021 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

they do have a tasty looking burger...

Pwnzor
Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2021 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Crusty
Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2021 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Recon Report

Well; I went to The Jug for lunch. There is no inside seating available at present, and if they open up the inside seating, there are only a half dozen stools along a counter. They have a few picnic tables out front and thatís where I sat and ate. I had a cheeseburger and a root beer to drink. It was a good burger and the root beer was also good. I would eat there again and I liked the burger a lot more than the burger I had at the Thurman Cafe, even though the Thurman Burger was a lot bigger.

I didnít eat much because I was cold. I took the Interstate to Middletown and I was chilled when I got there. Having to sit outside at a picnic table when itís 40ļ F (4.5ļ C) to eat was not conducive to having a long, lingering lunch.

I guess it wouldít be a bad place for a Meet & Eat, but itís basically just a root beer stand like an A&W. I would suggest that if people want to go there, we should wait until warmer weather; especially if people have to travel a ways to get there. As I said, the burger I ate was good. I wouldnít mind eating there again. If we do go there, it would be more like going to White Castle than a real restaurant (though the burgers are a lot better).

The rest of the ride was kind of underwhelming. I was cold the entire time I was out there. (The first thing I did when I got home was take a hot shower to get the chill out).

I stopped at Jungle Jimís and got a bag of cherries. My first impression of them is that Chilean cherries arenít as good as Pacific Northwest cherries, both in size and in flavor. Traffic was fairly heavy coming home from the Jungle and I missed Powder Coating Specialty. I was looking for it, but traffic was heavy and it took a lot of my attention. Iíll just have to call and ask questions about what I need to do. Thereís no rush; I wonít be getting the parts coated until after I can get up to Joeís and he can weld and cut the brackets.

Right now, my ass is dragging. That ride whipped the living sh*t out of me. I think Iíll kick back on the recliner and fall asleep watching the idiot box

That is all.

Pwnzor
Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2021 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Crusty, have you ever tried Ranier Cherries? They're multi-colored gold and red...

They only come out during June and July, sometimes into August. Oh, my, God... they're good.

Crusty
Posted on Friday, January 15, 2021 - 05:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

One Of Those Nights

Iím having one of those nights. I woke up at 3:00 AM and the Committee in my head immediately convened. So I got up and played a couple of games on the laptop. Then I started looking at motorcycle parts.

There arenít many parts to look for to finish up the Gentlemanís Express. I pretty much know what parts I need and how much theyíre going to cost. But I still have the 78 Sportster down in the basement and it needs quite a bit. I had thought that the parts it needs are going to be a lot more expensive than the prices Iíve found. So far, Iíve spent the last hour looking at all kinds of things.

I was wondering if Iíve started looking at the 78 because itís winter. I spent a good bit of time playing with it last winter after I got back from Australia. Then I found the 16 Roadster and began building the Express, and the 78 got put on the back burner.

I could get sucked into building the 78. It needs a lot. A couple of items it needs are Swap Meet items. The right exhaust bracket for the chrome salami exhaust. The parts for the front of the seat so it mounts on the frame properly. I need to find a Superglide tank. It needs a generator and a clutch kit and cables; throttle, clutch, rear brake and Speedometer. I donít know what else. I guess that once I get my plastic paid down, Iíll be able to start back in on playing with it.

Part of me is saying that I could just buy some of the cheaper items. Twenty bucks for a cable or other cheap items. I know where that leads, though. If I do that, the payments on the plastic will get smaller and Iíll become obsessed with building the bike. Like I became obsessed with building the Gentlemanís Express.

When I bought the 16, I told myself that I was just buying the bike. I wasnít going to make any changes until both the plastic and furnace were paid off. That didnít even last a day, once I flew to Wichita and started riding it home. I didnít even get out of Kansas before I ordered brake and clutch levers and new hand grips. The ride home convinced me that I had to change the handlebars, and I was off and running. A sizable amount of debt later, the Gentlemanís Express is a reality. But the debt is still there and itís a lot bigger than it was last year at this time.

If I start buying ďCheapĒ parts for the 78, a year from now, Iíll still be in debt. I want to get it paid off and the only way to do that is to not buy unnecessary things; like parts to restore a 43 year old motorcycle.

Maybe once I get the debt cut in half of what it currently is, Iíll be able to start buying little items for the 78. But thatís going to be several months. And it feels like an alcoholic saying, "Well; if I can go six months without a drink, then I should be able to handle only having one or two!"

In the meantime, itís winter. I have things to do for both the Roadster and the Express. I guess Iíll concentrate on that. Thereís a beautiful new Alto Carbonite clutch kit still sitting on the dining room table. maybe itís time to put that in the express.

But not at 5:00 AM.

Tootal
Posted on Friday, January 15, 2021 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

You forgot to mention that wonderfully comfy stock seat! I still remember the look on your face when you were trying to dismount after hours of sitting on a board!

Crusty
Posted on Friday, January 15, 2021 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

You should have seen Ourdee when he sat on the bike a few days after that!

Wolfridgerider
Posted on Friday, January 15, 2021 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

You forgot to mention that wonderfully comfy stock seat! I still remember the look on your face...

That reminded me when Doug and I did a Iron Butt ride on the DR650's.
We both had our seats recovered.
I had more padding added.
Doug had the "Lower" padding installed.

This is use at the beginning of the ride

and here we are just over the half way point. I laugh pretty hard every time I see this pic

Ourdee
Posted on Friday, January 15, 2021 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Doug is almost making me cry. Lil Red will get you. Ouch.

(Message edited by ourdee on January 15, 2021)

Posted on Saturday, January 16, 2021 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Doug is almost making me cry. Lil Red will get you. Ouch.

Reminds me of the time I helped a German colleague pick up some flavor of XB12S in Apopka, FL and getting it back to New Bern, NC. I rode the bike all the way through Florida, and once we hit Georgia we alternated riding the bike at every gas fill up. I remember riding the last leg and around Goldsboro, NC praying that any traffic light on HWY 70 would be red so that I could put my feet down and get my ass up off the seat. But the damn light turned green just as I was about to put my feet down...

And then there was the time that I took a company S1W to one of the first Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise's in Detroit. On my return trip, the damage was already done. Buying that camping pillow to put on the seat in Ann Arbor was useless...

Tootal
Posted on Saturday, January 16, 2021 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

My dad and I rode to a Rider magazine rally in Pigeon Forge Tennessee. We rode my two bikes. One was a 91 Harley Electro Glide Sport and the other was an 85 BMW K100RS. Switching bikes at gas stops worked out great! We even rode the Dragon one way, switched bikes, and rode the other. Great trip and and if you are riding with someone you trust on your bike it's a great way to rest your keester on a long trip!

Crusty
Posted on Saturday, January 16, 2021 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Short Strokes

Itís a grey winter day. The temp is right around the freezing mark. The highs are supposed to be in the mid 30s and the lows are supposed to be in the low 20s right through the 10 day forecast with show showers off and on almost every day.

It snowed during the night. Not enough to count; just a dusting. Itís supposed to do it again this afternoon and again overnight. Itís not super cold, nor is the snow going to accumulate, but along with the leaden skies it makes for a bleak winter.

I doubt Iíll be going anywhere outside the house beyond the mailbox today.

When I was at the supermarket yesterday, I bought some ďsalad bowlĒ containers. I had measured the OD of the clutch plates and I measured the diameter of the containers. The clutch kit would fit in one, so I bought them. There were on sale - a package of 3 for $2.99. My Carbonite clutch plates have been sitting in one of them covered with Formula + for about 20 hours. Iíve been debating with myself if I should change out the clutch on the Express today. I probably wonít be taking it out for a few days, so I have plenty of time to do the job. Then again, if I do change it out, the bike will sit for a while before I get a chance to see if I like the new clutch. I also wonder if the oil will penetrate the clutch fibers as thoroughly in the colder temps. Maybe it would be smarter to let the plates sit for another day or so. I donít think sitting in oil for a longer time will hurt anything, so Iím leaning toward letting them sit. Iím also thinking that I might just bring the bowl (it is covered) upstairs into the heated house until itís time to start the job.

AFT finally released its schedule for 2021. The DuQuoin Mile is back once again. I checked with Gargle and itís 325 miles to the track. DuQuoin is one of the prettiest tracks Iíve been to and it matches Springfield for the quality of racing. I have a pretty good idea where Iím going to be on July 17. I hope tickets go on sale soon. I have my tickets for Springfield. Iíll have a ticket for DuQuoin as soon as they go on sale.

I guess I had better start replacing my tired out camping gear soon. REI has a 3 1/2Ē self inflating pad on sale in their closeout section. I should probably get that first. When I get my tax refund, Iíll get the new tent. I plan to get an exact replacement for my current tent. Iím really surprised that such a great tent sells for so cheap. $249.00 for a brand new tent is one hell of a deal. The USMC was instrumental in the design of this tent and it shows in both its durability and design. I got my present tent (a birthday present from David) in August of 2015 as a surplus tent and it has been a case of instant love and appreciation. I lived in this tent for a while and even though it is now wearing out, it has been more than good to me.

I just had a magnificent BLT for brunch. Iíve figured out the formula (recipe?) to make a truly incredible sandwich. Since Iím feeling generous, Iíll share it with you.

Toast a Kroger Private Selection Brioche roll (If you can find a Martin's Potato Bread Roll; even better!)

Take three slices of Wrightís thick sliced bacon and cut them in half so that you have six 5Ē or so pieces and fry them over low to medium heat

Spread Hellmanís Mayonnaise on both toasted roll halves

(This is the hard part) Find a good tomato and slice it into pieces that will just cover one side of the roll.

Get a head of iceberg lettuce and rip some pieces that will cover the diameter of the roll

When the bacon is cooked, and has sat on paper towels to absorb the excess grease, put two slices of bacon on the bottom of the roll.

Next, put the tomato on top of the bacon

Then put two more slices of bacon.

Then the lettuce.

Then the last two pieces of bacon

Then the top half of the roll.

Pour yourself a good cup of coffee and enjoy a bit of Nirvana.

Have a Nice Day!

Crusty
Posted on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 - 05:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Gear Shopping

I need to get some new camping gear. Not everything, but I need a new sleeping pad and a new tent. I have no complaint with the gear Iím replacing; it has served me well. It has become old and not quite up to the task, though. The tent has developed a few small rips in the door screens and one of the poles has started to split at one end. Minor annoyances, but they are red flags that itís reaching its end of life. My sleeping pad has developed problems with the air valves and it loses air over a day or two where it used to stay air tight. Considering that I lived on the road for two years, a six year life span is pretty remarkable.

Iím going to get a new tent when I get my Income Tax Refund. Iím impressed enough with my present tent that Iím going to get the same one. Itís the best tent Iíve ever owned by a wide margin. I got it as used Military Surplus, yet it has endured a lot of abuse. Iím amazed that the price of a new replacement is so low. At $250.00 itís a steal of a deal.

The sleeping pad, however, is going to be upgraded. My present pad is an REI 3.5 pad. While it was a great pad, REI no longer offers it, so Iím going to go with a 4 inch pad this time. Iíve gotten older and a thicker pad will be better for a couple of reasons. First, Iíll be more comfortable. Forty years ago, I had no trouble sleeping on the ground. Now, I hurt after sleeping in a bed. Also, the thicker pad offers better insulation. Iím planning to ride to Tuktoyaktuk next year. Permafrost is real there. If Iím camping, I donít want to sleep on a slab of ice without good insulation.

I toyed with the idea of getting a six inch thick pad. That might be a better choice for Arctic camping. But the 50% higher price and larger packed bulk are definite deterrents. Iíll try the 4Ē pad this summer and see how I like it. I think itíll be OK. In the specs, REI states that itís among the best for Winter and colder conditions and the R factor is close to 7. The jury is still out, though. Since I wonít be buying right away, I have time to mull over if the extra bulk when itís packed is worth it. If the 4Ē pad is warm enough, why would I want the extra bulk of a 6Ē pad on the bike?

These are the questions that run through my mind at 4:00 AM when I wake up and canít get back to sleep. I prefer having to deal with issues like these when the committee in my head convenes than the extremely frustrating things that go on when I get caught up in Politics. Now; at 5:00 AM, I can go back to sleep and let my subconscious decide which is the better choice. More money and more packed bulk, or less bulk, but still warm enough and more affordable.

Crusty
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2021 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

01/21/2021

Iím cranky, this morning. I woke up at 5:30 with a bladder that was screaming at me, then, as soon as I got back in bed, the committee in my head convened and they were doing their best Antifart/BLT imitation and my mind was Downtown Seattle/Minneapolis. I lay there for about 10 minutes, then decided things were not going to quiet down, so I got up.

Playing Solitaire, Circle the Cat and Minesweeper helped to settle my head, but by the time that happened, the sky was getting light on the Eastern horizon. So I started the coffee and brushed my teeth. When I checked my e-mail, the USPS let me know that my package was Out For Delivery today. Itís a 12 foot extension so that I can plug my ear buds (pieces? Shells?) into the TV. Don gave me the ear things for Christmas and they help me hear people on my cell phone a lot clearer. He said that if I watch a movie with them plugged into the TV, itíll be like sitting in a theater. The 12 foot extension cable cost me a whopping $4.52, so I figured Iíd try it. I was thinking that Iíd watch a Marvel movie when the cable arrived; The Avengers or Doctor Strange or even Guardians of the Galaxy, but Iíve decided that in honor of the Inauguration, Iíll watch The Revenge of the Sith tonight.

Iím going to have enough money to get by until Monday when I get my SS deposit, so I think Iíll get extravagant and buy dinner. Iíve been wanting Burnt Ends for a couple of weeks, and I have a $20.00 bill thatís burning a hole in my wallet. I was going to wait until next week, but Iím probably going to be holed up because of the weather. Today, the high temperature is supposed to hit 48ļ F (9ļ C), so I think I should go out for a ride. Besides the fact that a ride should help my crappy attitude, Iím hoping that the Carbonite Clutch will break in and stop squealing.

Right now, Iím thinking that if the squeal doesnít get better, Iíll put the stock clutch back in the bike. Iíll probably change out the Grenade plate before I head to Tuk, next year. I could try a few different variations. The XR 1200 pieces supposedly work well. And Alto makes a Grenade Plate (Spring Plate) that uses stainless steel rivets, instead of brass items. Iím not sure which way would be best. Iím leaning toward the Alto spring plate, but I probably will give it time and watch the XL Forum to see how people like them.

I looked at the MoFoCo BIG Reveal yesterday. The salesman at Cin City was right; there are only three Sportsters being offered. There are seven Cruisers and 13 Garbage Wagons Touring Bikes from the entry level Electra Glide Standard ($18,999) to the Luxurious CVO Limited ($44,099). As I said on the XL Forum yesterday, work boots cost less than fancy dress shoes. This is what to expect when a Shoe Salesman runs a Motorcycle Company.

So, basically, Iím feeling very pissy. Iím going to fix a BLT for breakfast, hit a meeting, then put on a few miles. On the way home, Iíll stop at Velvet Smoke and pick up dinner.

Hopefully, all that will improve my mood.
« Previous Next »

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous" (Valid reason required. Abusers will be exposed. If unsure, ask.)
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Rules | Program Credits Administration