G oog le BadWeB | Login/out | Topics | Search | Custodians | Register | Edit Profile

Buell Forum » Quick Board » There was a motorcycle-related accident around where I live. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Natexlh1000
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2019 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I saw it in the news.
The article had the following picture:

s

What kind of clownshoes thought that this was the correct way of loading up a $$$$ BMW touring bike?
A single chain across the seat?

The article itself had no info at all other than the victim was taken to a hospital with a helicopter.

Ourdee
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2019 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

That is not just a chain. It is hooked to the deck at the rear. The other end is hooked to the winch line. A hand on the lever while distracted will turn that bike into a total. Most likely working for the city impound. They don't get in trouble for damages. I have towed plenty of cars after their fine work in Indianapolis. Do you think he rolled that bike on it's tires to where it is? Not, It was winched while laying on it's side. Yes, he drug it onto the bed. When he gets it to the impound lot a fork truck will unload it or he will un-chain it, tilt the bed, roll the bed back, put the truck in reverse, then jam on the brakes. He will not get in any trouble. It may rest on the right side after it rolls upside down. There were wrecker drivers that made me sick. I was accused of driving like an old man.

, I never tore up anything I towed. Punks can say what they want.

, I sleep well.

Natexlh1000
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2019 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Yes winched on the side. You can see the marks on the bed.
Just pisses me off how careless people can be.
Bad enough the poor guy gets shipped off in a chopper, now he's out a bike that will be rained on in an impound lot all winter long.

Ourdee
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2019 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Hope he heals up.

Mnscrounger
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2019 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I hope the best for the rider too, but as far as the bike goes, (and I defer to Ourdee's experience for confirmation/correction), its possible the driver of the rig knows almost every bike that isn't ridden away from the scene is a total write off for the insurer. It may not matter how much care is taken getting it back to the yard, only time on the call from the operators and dispatchers perspective.
That said, if it were my bike it would still twist my ties..

Sifo
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2019 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I can't remember if I saw it here or elsewhere, but it was a GIF of a bike (I think a Ducati) being winched up on a flat bed. Bike was on the stand, cable around the front wheel. Just winched it up, let it fall off the stand onto it's side and dragged it up. The simple reality is that most wreckers just don't care, and they are not responsible for damages.

Ourdee
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2019 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I wasn't allowed to tear stuff up, unless the owner wanted it out of there bad enough to sign a damage waiver. Like, it has slid down into the woods side ways and I can not document the damage that is already there, or the 2018 Cadillac CTS-V that the guy's daughter parked in the creek after missing a curve at over 55. She would have cleared the creek if she didn't hit the brakes.

Ourdee
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2019 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I still didn't tear them up.

Ourdee
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2019 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

It was a pride thing from when I drove cranes. I didn't tear anything up then either.
« Previous Next »

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous" (Valid reason required. Abusers will be exposed. If unsure, ask.)
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Rules | Program Credits Administration