G oog le BadWeB | Login/out | Topics | Search | Custodians | Register | Edit Profile

Buell Forum » Quick Board » Marvel's Defenders is coming. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 25, 2019Aesquire30 04-25-19  10:19 pm
Archive through March 07, 2019Aesquire30 03-07-19  08:34 am
Archive through June 19, 2018Oopezoo30 06-19-18  09:31 am
Archive through April 27, 201886129squids30 04-27-18  11:23 am
Archive through February 15, 2018Aesquire30 02-15-18  05:50 pm
Archive through January 23, 2018Aesquire30 01-23-18  11:05 am
Archive through December 31, 2017Pwnzor30 12-31-17  07:00 am
Archive through July 10, 2017Aesquire30 07-10-17  03:04 pm
Archive through March 26, 2017Aesquire30 03-26-17  04:35 pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zac4mac
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2019 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I decided in 1963 or 1964, that Stan Lee was The Man.
Glad to see that, once again, I was ahead of the curve...

<edit> Proud member of the MMMS
Z

(Message edited by zac4mac on April 25, 2019)

86129squids
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2019 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I've read a few reviews, thanks for the $.02, Aesquire... or, do you prefer your secret/given name? ; )

I really do appreciate good sci-fi. As a kid, me and my best buddy would walk to an old-tyme general store to buy soda and junk food. While there, I would speed-read every comic on the rack, and then progress to the big magazines. I'd start with Heavy Metal.

Wow. As a kid, I'd never seen such imagery, nor such words, or worlds. Such great writing, worldbuilding/destroying, just awesomeness. And titties.

Ranxerox... I was him as a teenager.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/7d/65/1a/7d651a35392e319 9aee60f612682c73a--heavy-metal-comic-heavy-metal-a rt.jpg

Crusty
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2019 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

quote:

Endgame.

Did not suck.

No end credits stinger. But nice color credits worth a look. Pretty full theater, crowd cheered.

Will see again,

Just saw it. I agree.

Aesquire
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2019 - 02:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Fairly spoiler free review from a source I usually disagree with.

But some spoilers. So

SPOILER ALERT! DO NOT READ UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN ENDGAME!

Or decided to wait until cable & don't care.
https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2019/04/25 /avengers-endgame-review-marvel-sticks-the-landing /

I feel I can now reveal... There are explosions! More than one.

(Message edited by aesquire on April 27, 2019)

Aesquire
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2019 - 02:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

IMHO, the lack of the genius of Spielberg, and the chest that is computer graphics, barely keeps Endgame from being the Super hero Saving Private Ryan.

But I'll make the comparison anyway, it tries, and I want to be first to draw attention to the two films. College classes will next semester, I predict.

I look forward to the "told you so".

Saving Private Ryan did many camera effects, but not mass cgi. The magic of old school cinematography vs. Computer stuff is a real divide in my mind. I appreciate that only recently can we be good the story of Thor or Iron Man outside a cartoon or laughably bad practical effects.

In high school, a buddy directed a class project "movie" and I helped make a parody of the "Six Million Dollar Man". We had a scene where our hero lifted the back of a car so the bad guy could not escape. We deliberately shot it so you could see the jack being used, because... meta? Also there was no safe way to do it rapidly with our resources, so hey, just go with it. ( the crashed airplane was a huge paper airplane ( dart ) stuck in the side of a collapsing barn with a big hole. It wasn't even a Dad's credit card budget "film" )

Saving Private Ryan's Omaha Beach - Art of The Scene
the tech tricks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7M8iGQOjMI

The filming & editing genius...

Aesquire
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2019 - 04:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

https://www.thewrap.com/all-marvel-cinematic-unive rse-mcu-movies-ranked-worst-best/

I disagree strongly with this opinion.

Otoh, I suck at this kind of thing.

Is Avengers #1, or #3? You get the idea. Taste is taste.

But I'll take a cowards approach & list top,middle,ok. No order in each group.

Top.
Avengers
Iron Man
Thor, Ragnarok
Spiderman, Homecoming (Micheal Keaton!)
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America, Winter Soldier
Black Panther ( 2nd & 3rd best villains in the MCU )
Avengers, Infinity War/Endgame

Middle.
Thor
Avengers, Age of Ultron
Ant Man
Ant Man and The Wasp
Captain America, Civil War
Captain America, The First Avenger
Iron Man 2
Dr. Strange

Ok. ( really most here didn't suck )
Guardians 2
Thor, The Dark World
Captain Marvel
Iron Man 3
The Incredible Hulk ( ok, the bottom of the list. Not bad, had promise, and set up a new villain, The Leader, but just not great. )

(Message edited by Aesquire on April 27, 2019)

Aesquire
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2019 - 05:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

You can certainly argue some films are better, or worse. I refuse to complain if you want, for example, Age of Ultron up a notch, or Iron Man 2, down.

I'm very tempted to move Thor, up. And Iron Man 2 introduced Black Widow with style. But middle seems fair. Meps! Meps!

Torquehd
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2019 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

My favorite (Marvel) actress is Evangeline Lilly. Better looking, great actress, great personality.

She's quoted as saying, "I'm very proud of being a woman, and as a woman, I don't even like the word feminism because when I hear that word, I associate it with women trying to pretend to be men, and I'm not interested in trying to pretend to be a man."

OK another fun clip of her

(Message edited by torquehd on April 28, 2019)

Aesquire
Posted on Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 02:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

SHAZAM!

Thumbs up. Surprisingly good.

Dark & gritty DC hits family friendly head on, and succeeds at both. May rank at #2 behind Wonder Woman in the DC universe.

Keeping spoiler free is hard, so let's just say the trailers happily don't ruin the movie, they are a bit misleading.

Perfect? No. But a villain you can almost empathize with, and fairly solid acting by a cast with several child actors.

You may want to watch before bringing kids, but I caught it in a tiny theater ( recliners, nice ) and the bulk of the audience was Moms and kids, and I don't recall any crying or trauma. ( aside from wishing I was younger, with a room full of hot Moms )

Aesquire
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

https://www.schlockmercenary.com/blog/shazam/

Aesquire
Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2019 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Great review. From a writer, not a critic.

Great explanation of the time travel "science".

https://marionharmon.com/2019/05/06/the-perfect-en dgame/

Upon reflection, Avengers Age of Ultron, Ant man, Ant man and the Wasp, and Avengers Civil War belong on the "gotta see before you see Avengers Infinity/Endgame. Maybe Thor Dark World...

Damnit! You just have to see all of them, except perhaps the Hulk movie. It's not really needed, as there isn't any continuity except for the great stinger with Tony Stark & General Ross.

Maybe if Betty Ross was with Bruce at the SPOILER FREE scene? But without Thunderbolt Ross, Betty, Abomination, Leader, etc, in the rest of the MCU, the Hulk flick isn't needed at all to understand, sympathize, and care about the characters.

At this point, it's probably a minority, at least in countries with electricity, that don't know the origin story of at least Batman, Spiderman, etc. Which is in a way, a massive Geek triumph.

"Our" literature is now as recognized on a planetary scale as Kafka or Hemingway. Not as common as Shakespeare... ( I think ) but I'd say more people know about Batman than The Great Gatsby.

Suck it! All you snobs in academe! ; )

Aesquire
Posted on Tuesday, June 04, 2019 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/06/quentin-tarant ino-on-how-spaghetti-westerns-shaped-modern-cinema /

I'm not the biggest Tarentino fan, but Pull Fiction & the Kill Bill films earn respect.

And I completely agree about Once Upon A Time In The West. You couldn't ask for a better cast. One of the best villains in movie history.

Crusty
Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2019 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Has anyone seen Dark Phoenix yet? The previews piqued my interest, but after some of the other X men movies, I'm not sure if I want to go see it.

Aesquire
Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2019 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

The reviews are mixed but fans like it, I'm seeing it this week. After all, I sat through the other 2 trilogies. And liked them. Sophie did a decent job in "Apocalypse" and I grew to have sympathy for her character.

The Bad parts of Apocalypse were some plot holes ( villain has powers he uses early, then seems to forget he has them ) and the stiff make-up on the villain, giving a real handicap to a decent actor who couldn't emote very well. ANd... director/writer problems, that also didn't help Justice League.

Likewise the new Godzilla movie gets mixed reviews.

I'm ignoring any political idiocy from actors or pundits.

I will rant that the "first female lead" hype is both insulting and dishonest. We've had, and loved, and accepted with no angst or patriarchy bull at all, heroines like Sarah Connor and Ripley.

In fact, IMHO no Bond or Ethan Hawke? Film has so effectively or simply shown us how Bad Ass a character is, than Terminator 2.

Sking off a mountain, climbing the tallest building, leaping into helicopters... Expensive, elaborate stunts designed to impress you look overblown and silly compared to the scene in the mental hospital where we "meet" Sarah. 20 seconds of recap from her doctor. An upended cot, sweating, muscle definition shown in a slow, controlled, pull up. The taunt of the doctor. Damn.

Then the escape sequence, tightly choreographed, panther physicality... Nothing can stop her.

Quit hyping that you even have a female actor. Write great characters. We'll love them.

End rant.

(Message edited by aesquire on June 11, 2019)

Crusty
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2019 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I'm looking forward to Spiderman - Far From Home. It will be interesting to see just how things progress in the Marvel Universe after Thanos.

(Message edited by Crusty on June 19, 2019)

Aesquire
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Spoilers! Spoilers!

Screen Rant's Avengers Infinity War & Endgame pitches. Funny. Brutal. Don't watch unless you've seen both.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lJATe8-j35s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HRqsC4UuY_A

Daddio
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2019 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I'm just happy that Jessica Jones is back on Netflix; I heard that this is the last season, that Disney in their infinite wisdom, isn't renewing her.}
« Previous Next »

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous" (Valid reason required. Abusers will be exposed. If unsure, ask.)
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Rules | Program Credits Administration