G oog le BadWeB | Login/out | Topics | Search | Custodians | Register | Edit Profile

Buell Forum » Quick Board » Marvel's Defenders is coming. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 19, 2018Oopezoo30 06-19-18  09:31 am
Archive through April 27, 201886129squids30 04-27-18  11:23 am
Archive through February 15, 2018Aesquire30 02-15-18  05:50 pm
Archive through January 23, 2018Aesquire30 01-23-18  11:05 am
Archive through December 31, 2017Pwnzor30 12-31-17  07:00 am
Archive through July 10, 2017Aesquire30 07-10-17  03:04 pm
Archive through March 26, 2017Aesquire30 03-26-17  04:35 pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

86129squids
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Wow...

https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/movies/incre dibles-2-seizure-warning-1.19287279

Oh, and as I drink coffee this AM I realized that the BW spelchuk doesn't recognize a plural of "Incredible".

Oopezoo
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Oh yeah.....the scene referenced is no joke about the seizure warning. It was the equivalent to sitting in a completely dark room with a black and white checkered patterns being flashed like a strobe light in the background, while a very fast fight scene with a bunch of colors was going on in the foreground......and for quite a lot longer than expected. I know it was enough for me to feel disoriented. Made a comment to my wife that it was worse than the old Simpsons episode that made a bunch of people have seizures.

(Message edited by OoPEZoO on June 19, 2018)

Aesquire
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

https://marionharmon.com/2018/06/22/a-incredible-s equel/

Some have complained about migraines.

The above link is to a review, and a complaint about ignorant political commentary.

The key here is that, to enjoy a movie like The Incredibles II, you need to recognize the conventions and tropes of the genre, identify which the show is playing straight, or lamp-shading, or deconstructing, and just roll with it. Fortunately, most viewers do that rather easily. Unfortunately, too many people who are payed by the word to think about and write about movies don’t.

The result can be something like this:

“Like “The Incredibles,” the new film presents the Incredible family chafing under the ostensibly democratic order that prevents them from taking the law into their own hands whenever they perceive a threat that their talents could thwart.”

And:

“Yet what’s chilling about “Incredibles 2” isn’t its smug self-promotion; it’s the superhero essentialism—the vision of born leaders with an unimpeachable moral compass to whom all right-thinking people should swear allegiance and invest confidence.”

And:

“Incredibles 2” invokes a political world in nonpolitical ways; it’s a vision of apolitical, quasi-unanimously acclaimed virtues that are assured by the supreme powers of innate and doubt-free strongmen and strongwomen who intervene only in emergencies. It’s a nostalgic vision of total power of a local minimum that echoes sickeningly with the nostalgic pathologies of the current day, nowhere more than in Win’s enthusiastic declaration of his plan to “make superheroes legal again.” In such moments, “Incredibles 2” stakes an unintended claim to being the most terrifying movie of the season.

Those are quotes from Richard Brodie’s New Yorker review of the movie, the title of which is The Authoritarian Populism of “Incredibles 2.” In case you missed the last reference, he was equating “Make superheroes legal again,” with “Make America great again!”

In a word, “Huh?”

Now, I’m not saying that TI2 was politics-free. It wasn’t; in fact it contains a couple of “clever” throw-away lines that had nothing to do with the plot and should have been thrown away. And the way the legal situation resolves at the end . . . Just go with it. Maybe I’ll address it some other time.

But Brodie and many, many critics like him are falling into a trap because they don’t recognize the self-conscious conventions of the superhero genre. He looks at The Incredibles movies and sees Superhero Essentialism as a sinister ideal; “…the vision of born leaders with an unimpeachable moral compass to whom all right-thinking people should swear allegiance and invest confidence.” But if there is such as thing as Superhero Essentialism, it’s “With great power, comes great responsibility.” Which is in many ways exactly the opposite of what Brodie sees. Responsibility, not authority.

I think that where Brodie and the rest often go wrong when trying to derive social and political metaphors from superhero stories, is they equate superhuman power with moral authority. But superhuman powers are fantasy. The unique position they put superheroes in simply doesn’t exist in the real world; how many people do you know who can stop a train full of people from crashing? How many people do you know who can shut down an active-shooter situation quickly, decisively, and at no risk to themselves? Beyond the idea that if you can do something, you should do something (and any of us can make a difference in much more human-scale ways), superpowers as a fact in a superhero world don’t mean anything.

The Incredibles don’t want to “lead with an unimpeachable moral compass,” they want to help because they can. We enjoy wish-fulfillment movies like this because the wish to be able to help is a near-universal human trait. While I’m often critical of billionaires and celebrities who use their money or fame to push causes I think are less than informed, I’ll never deny their right to try and leverage their “superpowers” to make a difference. The way we’re wired, many of us actually feel bad if we don’t try and make a difference when we can. We expect it of ourselves and others.

So if you haven’t seen The Incredibles II yet, go enjoy it. Do not fear the super-authoritarians, there aren’t any. There’s just a bunch of superheroes who want to do what superheroes do in a superhero world. Save the day.

Marion G. Harmon

Aesquire
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Deconstruction. Tearing apart something to see how it ticks. Often with an eye to reversing the meaning, but that's an imposition of the Deconstructor, not the original author.

“With great power, comes great responsibility.”

The basis for why Superheroes are, heroes.

Marion's own Astra, in the excellent Wearing The Cape series, is a freshman in college with her future planned. Sorority with her high school besties, a college degree, work in Mom's art gallery, do charity work. Raised in some privilege, primed to give back to the community, raised by hard working, responsible parents who instilled the above creed early on. When she gets super powers, How can she Not use them for good?

It's no surprise that the Leftist Journo isn't aware of the tropes in the genre. He learned to parrot hatred on cue, and missed all the stuff that forms the foundations his activism is supposed to overthrow.

I'll save Shakespeare for the next post.

If you want a nice bargain sampler of the Super Genre, I just saw this and ordered it.

It includes the 1st book in the Wearing the Cape series, and worth it for that alone. ( I REALLY like the series )

https://marionharmon.com/2018/06/26/a-box-full-of- dreams/

Chauly
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I saw Incredibles II and enjoyed it more than I enjoyed Deadpool 2 and Infinity Wars. It was a good story, and the characters were well-developed.
Well-worth the $5.50 mentioned...

Aesquire
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

https://babylonbee.com/news/disney-buys-rights-to- the-bible-plans-37-sequels/

Aesquire
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

While we wait for Captain Marvel.

Aesquire
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2018 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

VENOM.

First, this movie has nothing to do with the Comic book history of Secret Wars & Spiderman. That I know of. He's not in it. ( there is a musical bit )

I Haven't read the Venom comic series so... have nothing to say.

It does Not take itself too seriously.

If it did, if it was pretentious and "important", it would have sucked.

It's funny as Heck. Laugh out loud, long, hard funny. But not continuously.

It's a Bad movie. It so Bad.... I understand why the critics hate it, but I think they are not genre savvy, and are missing the point. Yes, every cliche you can think of is in here. Tropes fall like rain. It's never, ever, ever going to be used as an example of great Cinema in college level classes, but it will get viewed at 3 am. in colleges for years to come.

Fans are loving it because it just hits the right notes, imperfect hero, loser, spoiler, spoiler... etc. They aren't expecting Shakespeare, but they get the entertainment a comic book movie is supposed to deliver, the impossible action, the battle quips.

Over the top motorcycle/drone/car chase scene.

Not too much body horror... but enough. I'd avoid eating noodles with squid ink before. ; )

I had fun. YMMV.

The stinger ( just one after the pretty credits, none at the very end ) is related to the Spiderman animated... coming this Christmas, and is on My Must See list already. Dang.
« Previous Next »

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous" (Valid reason required. Abusers will be exposed. If unsure, ask.)
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Rules | Program Credits Administration