G oog le BadWeB | Login/out | Topics | Search | Custodians | Register | Edit Profile

Buell Forum » Quick Board » Archive through April 09, 2014 » C/L vent « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Strokizator
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I'm getting rid of toys and one of the items for sale is an 8x16 two axle trailer I used to haul ATV's and dirt bikes to the desert. In spite of my warnings not to try to scam me or hit me with a low-ball number. Almost immediately I was deluged with CASH offers for several hundred dollars less and then I got a text from some guy with a Mass. area code. I finally amended my ad with the following:
Added 3/5/2014
Obviously I need to add a little clarification here. "Cash Only" would seem to be self explanatory yet I've had several low-ball offers of $500 to $800, emphasizing that it's all in CASH. What did you think I was going to take - your collection of Barbie dolls? Cash means exactly what it says. US currency only - no pesos, lira or rubles.
Secondly, if you're convinced you are smart enough to scam me and insist on trying, please use proper English. Don't use phrases like "I am buying it for my best partner in state", that just makes you sound like a gay Russian (not that there's anything wrong with that). Or "I won't be able to come to look at it due to the vehicle accident condition of my health". WTF?!?! Call me back when your check from the Nigerian oil minister clears. Until then, pi$$ off!

I hope this works. I've already blocked several numbers from brokers who offer to "help you sell" your vehicle. FF, the troll, has got my Irish up and now this. My patience is thin. Anybody else have a story?

Hootowl
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I have a friend who is a Nigerian prince. You should hear some of his C/L stories.

Mr_grumpy
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I have taken to using a "code-word" when I place an ad.

Right at the end, I'll put something like "please use the word interstellar when you contact me so that I know you've actually read the ad."

Makes filtering easier.

Nillaice
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 01:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

And/Or spell out the numbers in you ad; Eight six seven five three ooooh nine

That'll stop the automated ones and leave you to weed out the dummies. Asking them to email you their phone # has worked for me in the past too, but seems to fetch less contacts. Probably because they think they are gonna get scammed.; )

Sifo
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

It's a repost, but seems fitting.

Ourdee
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I sometimes list stuff I would like to keep at twice the price I'd part with it for. When it gets low balled I act slightly offended but accept the money anyway. Note:Craigslist is like a yardsale. I never pay full asking price unless they are giving it away. Don't get too upset with low cash offers. Just counter with a five dollar less than asking price. Some are just testing the waters.

Biffdotorg
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

At least this is a legit rant on the yahoos on C-list and not C-list itself.

There are so many idiots out there badmouthing C-list as if it is the devil or something and just setup to scam people. I find it so hard to believe that they cannot understand the fact the c-list is just that, a glorified bulletin board and not responsible for the jokers that use it.

Etennuly
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

From a person who uses CL to buy and sell stuff at times, when a person places an add asking scammers to stay away, and they want no low ballers, and then they go on to admonish the idiots who violate their rules, will never get a response from me, even if what they have for sale is the right item at the right price. I'm not a low baller, but you have told me that you don't really want to sell the item, and that you don't want to talk to me.

If you are going to the public to sell items you have to put up with the public. Ain't no big deal. You can say "NO" or just ignore them.

About 10% of the people who look at items that I am selling ask if I will take half of what I am asking for an item. I just tell them no thanks and they go away. More than once that person was the one who has come back to make the purchase at my price.

Scammers are easy with email.....hit delete. Doing the filter with spelling a few numbers of a phone number does seem to work.

If you don't want to be a sales person, who's job in any industry is to weed out the chafe, don't sell stuff. Just don't go onto CL. Local pay news paper adds will weed out a lot of them for you.....because potential customers have to BUY the news paper.

If you want to see the cockroaches come out from under the cupboards place a job add. I have had perspective employees show up who cannot even spell their name, stoned or drunk, and nearly all of them had a friend or relative drive them in some POS that barely made it down my drive. And don't ask for a drivers license or references, or job history, or credit reference......etc. On the other hand, I have weeded out the mess to find some fairly good employees.

Selling cars, bikes, trucks, parts,hiring people, whatever CL is the same.

Swampy
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I use Craigslist to sell things. The one time I got a "I'll send you a check, I'm away on business" call I told the guy sorry cash only, we made arrangements for his brother-in-law to come look at the snowmobile(this time) and bring cash. No low ball offers once the guy drove 400 miles, he checked it out and cashed me! I also sold the Uly on Craigslist last fall, guy drove 12 hours to buy it and cashed me. The real scammers will send checks Wester Union overnight so I give them an address for them to send the check to, it costs $20 so after a while they catch on.
I also have been getting the scammer that sends money by "Paypal" they send you an email to check your paypal account, with a link to a fake paypal site then they glean your password and clean you out(luckily has not happened yet)

Ourdee
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I use a separate computer to PayPal money with. I open my PayPal and type in the info. CL can be fun. I like picking up 200 dollar bikes that don't run.

Strokizator
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Etennuly is probably right. I need to play the game and not be angry at the rules. I've been pricing stuff already low to get their attention so now if I want $1000 I'll list it at $1200 or good offer.

Last week had a motorcycle listed and a guy came over in a new C7 corvette. I showed him the '68 427 4-speed I had in the garage and he took that and the lift it was sitting on instead. I tried to make him a package deal but after he saw the car he lost interest in the bike. Still lots of stuff to go before I move.

Etennuly
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

At least here in Tennessee you have to write in a $200 buffer on anything over $600. That makes them feel better, and sometimes they just won't buy, if you cannot be "reasonable enough" to come down a couple hundred bucks.

Ratbuell
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Mark it up so you can mark it down, and make them feel special because they "got a deal".

Strokizator
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Here's the ironic part. Yesterday I got a call from the company that built the trailer. They were more than eager to buy it back from me for my full asking price (I told you I had it priced attractively). Maybe I'm not such an a$$ after all. Nah, even I don't believe that.

Thumper74
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I've messed with the scammers before. Go all the way through with the transaction, then give them the address to the police department.

It's even bad on Match.com and other dating sites. I signed up for Match after my divorce last spring and immediately got an e-mail from a very pretty woman who was into the same exact stuff I was. We talked back and forth for a little while, but I noticed that her English wasn't 'right'. It was similar to the scam e-mails I've received... She said she lived in Cleveland, TN, but gave me her cell phone number which was a LA are code. I broke off communication with her and she called me a 'fool'. Who says that?

Luftkoph
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

'fool'.Who says that? Mr.T
« Previous Next »

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous" (Valid reason required. Abusers will be exposed. If unsure, ask.)
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Rules | Program Credits Administration