|Posted on Monday, September 13, 2021 - 09:18 pm: ||
I have done the following to successfully eliminate all spitting, coughing and backfiring.
1. Replaced all 3 intake manifold seals & installed manifold & carb by floating them into place as an assembly to ensure correct positioning.
2. Repeatedly cleaned carb under magnification.
3. Confirmed intact exhaust seals.
4. Moved float level from .433 to .420. Stock range is .413(highest) to .453(lowest).
5. Added 2 shims to slide needle after discovering 1 wasn't enough.
6. Opened low speed needle from 2 to 2 3/4 out. (Kept going until spitting stopped)
While it seems to start idle and run well at all speeds, I'm concerned about the spark plug color and oil temperature which is 210°F at 80°F ambient. This plug shows a 15 mile ride @ 60mph on country roads stopping & starting at intersections, average cruise throttle position 25%.
Open the low needle to 3 turns? Stack on another shim?
Forcewinder Intake, Kiehin CV40 bored to 42mm by Trock Cycle Specialties, 45 low speed jet, 200 main jet, CV Performance Side, Spring, Velocity Needle, EZ-Just low speed needle, Big Valves Conversion by Don Tilley, Wiseco +.020 Forged Pistons, Arlen Ness Pushrods, Titan Springs, Andrews N6 Cams, Buell Race Headers & Muffler, Barnett Carbon Fiber Extra Plate Clutch with +25% Spring, Banke Shifter.
(Message edited by DarkHorse on September 13, 2021)