G oog le BadWeB | Login/out | Topics | Search | Custodians | Register | Edit Profile

Buell Forum » Knowledge Vault (tech, parts, apparel, & accessories topics) » Troubleshooting (Poor Starting/Running/Handling/Ride Issues) » Starter issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Erics1
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2021 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

A bit of a gremlin. Two days ago I bought a 2007 Uly, clean, only 9.5K miles. All seemed well, and after changing the engine and primary oil and adjusting the primary chain, I took her for a ~15 mile ride. The clutch had too much play, so today I adjusted that, sprayed her down with S100 and hosed that off, and prepared for a shorter ride. Hit the starter button and she started to turn over. I released it and pressed it again, and nothing. I looked at all the fuses in the fuse block, and removed them and the relays and sprayed it down with contact cleaner. Nada. So I left her in the hot sun for an hour plus, to get good and dry, and took the S3T for my ride. Afterwards, no change. The Uly had a new battery, but just for the heck of it I swapped it out for another battery I had on hand. No change. Since I had just gone through a voltage regulator issue with my Lightning, when the Uly was running yesterday I put a voltmeter across the battery terminals, and saw 13+ volts at idle. So I assumed that the VR was OK. I do notice now that when I press the starter button I hear a faint click from the starter relay in the fuse block, and with my finger on that relay I can feel the click.

Is this a typical issue with XBs, and is there somewhere in particular that I should first look? Could it be as simple as a bad relay?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Erics1
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2021 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

In a flash of brilliance \; ) it ocerred to me that sitting right next to the Uly was a fully functional XB12Ss! So I swapped out the starter relay, and voila!, issue solved.
« Previous Next »

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and custodians may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous" (Valid reason required. Abusers will be exposed. If unsure, ask.)
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Rules | Program Credits Administration