|Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 01:33 am: ||
I have a 2000 M2 that was a resurection project. So far (with the help of the kind folks on Badweather) I have more than just life in the beast. Now I am getting to some of the nitty gritty - getting rid of the oil blow by (both on my pant leg and on the engine).
I have done a search on Badweather to try to figure out what others are doing for rerouting the breathers. There is a LOT of info there - but not quite what I am trying to figure out. At least not in an easy to figure out format.
I still have the bread basket cover. I do have a K&N air filter - but the rest of that side is still stock.
I want to reroute the breather to some form of catch can. I suspect I will fabricate something - but am looking for experiences from those that have been down this road already.
Do I want to purchase a breather kit? Most include some form of banjo bolt, some tubing and a catch can. For $50 (or more) that violates my principle for this bike - be cheap, but effective (and favor performance over all).
I have seen some of the home brew fixes - looks doable (for me). What I am trying to figure out is the difference between some home brew and perhaps a more elegant solution.
My rides (so far) on this bike are either as a commuter (15 miles - maybe 25 minutes drive time) or something more (maybe 150 miles - all in one stop with a mix of wheelies and high speed mixed in with speed limite behaving).
|Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 09:04 am: ||
When I bought my bike, the breathers were just spliced together and run to the bottom of the bike where the oil was allowed to simply drip out... Cool huh?
I put it back to stock.
For $50, buy the kit and save the headache, IMO.
Just my thoughts.
|Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 09:41 am: ||
I tried a bunch of stuff on my M2, and at the end of the day, were I to do it again, I would have routed it back into the intake. Blasphemy, I know, but it's a simple and elegant solution.
I still have stained gear and spots on various places where I would park from the various other solutions I tried.
|Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 10:26 am: ||
Isn't there a dealie that bridges both breathers and then has a ring that goes between the throttlebody and the intake. It vents the breathers into the intake, but eliminates all the tubing. I think I saw it on one of the european sites...
|Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 12:29 pm: ||
Some forcewinders have holes to plumb in the breathers as well, thats probably the best all around solution.
|Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 01:39 pm: ||
$20 kit from Drag Specialties has just the Banjo Bolts. Run rubber hose to a small K&N filter. Total cost, if you have to buy hose and K&N, is still under $30.
My billet catch can hasn't caught anything yet. My brother made his own catch can, out of a JC Whitney battery overflow plastic catch can, that cost $5.
|Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 02:54 pm: ||
i used a few feet of fuel hose, ran the breather down to end at the swingarm, drip lands strategicly on the DRIVE CHAIN
|Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 09:20 pm: ||
Here is the system I used on my M2:
That was a minimal investment for the right angle banjo bolts and tubing and stuff. It worked fine with the stock "breadbox" air cleaner. I did add a hose clamp to the tube on the inside the air box when it came off once.
I kept the same system after I went to a spam can style air cleaner.
In spite of many stern warnings the up and over tube routing never caused any problems at all. Not a drop of oil leaked out anywhere. I put about 6,000 miles on that, changing the filter once.
The amount of oil recovered in the gas filter/catch can from the breather blowby never amounted to much. Replaced the filter with a new one at 3,000 miles and it did not have 1/8" of oil in it.
There was a still a little oil in the blowby at the exit tubing, I could see it on the exhaust outlet pipe and the swingarm. I extended the tubing down below the bike another couple of inches and that went away.
I've since put a similar breather catch can on the Dyna FXD that replaced the M2 and it is working fine there too. I used a filter on the FXD that is about half the size of the one I used on the M2 and it is working fine. It was a filter intended for a garden tractor or something like that.
|Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 06:16 pm: ||
Banjo Bolts, tube & a pop bottle ($0.05 deposit NY ) zip tied to the battery holder. With the stock Breadbox, I used the forward breather bolt as is & routed the hose out through the hole the rear breather hose used. Up & over is supposed to be bad, but works for me. A few spoon fulls of spooge in 2000 miles.
Routing the crankcase vents into a filter or catch can instead of the intake is good for 2 things......
About 1 hp. ( unless it's a $200 billet can, it's cheap HP. )
Far less chance of goop on your leg in case of more than normal blowby.
(Message edited by aesquire on November 16, 2006)
|Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 12:32 am: ||
Update on my breather re-routing. I still have the stock breadbox - I just rerouted the forward breather into a T connection (linking the rear breather tube) and terminating into a gas filter. I have a spiggot on the bottom of my gas filter. I have about 500 miles on this setup. I have maybe a tablespoon on sploog - nothing more (so far).
No sploog on my leg and the bike just seems to run better.