|Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 06:37 pm: ||
Has anyone ever charged a batter to the point it was going to explode? I know this sounds ridiculous but I left a charger on my battery over night and when I woke up the battery was no longer square but round. it was hissing and appears as though it was ready to blow. sort of a scary situation. Is there a time limit for charging you battery?
|Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 09:46 pm: ||
There is a limit to how much amperage you should be using on your battery as well as how long you leave the charger on the battery. If your battery has fill plugs for water then you should have taken them out...lets the gases escape from charging. I would use a 1 amp charger or better yet get yourself a Battery Tender for motorcycle batteries. This unit self-regulates the charge and is great for long-term storage to avoid sulfating the plates. Hope you got your battery back to a rectangular solid.
|Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 03:10 am: ||
Sealed batteries, which all late model Buells have can indeed do that when exposed to too high and too long of a charge rate. Once the battery becomes fully charged unable to store any more energy, said energy escapes via heat along with hydrogen gas buildup. You're darn lucky you didn't end up with big mess or much worse, an explosion of flame and acid. Even better than a 1 AMP charger is 1/2 AMP.
|Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 08:11 am: ||
Or a BatteryTender if you're going to leave it on overnight. Turns itself off once the battery is charged.
|Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 06:02 pm: ||
All you need to know about charging a motorcycle battery: Battery Tender. Get the 1.25 amp one.
More info: As a rule of thumb don't charge a motorcycle battery at greater than 1/10th it's rated capacity. If the battery is a 12-amp hour battery, then don't charge faster than 1.2 amps. If your battery is a 12-amp hour and your charger charges at one amp, then only charge for 12 hours. If your charger is a 2-amp model then charge for 6 hours. If you charger is a 12-amp model...don't. New Buells have sealed batteries, if overcharged they will pretty much need to be replaced soon. They can also explode, catch on fire, or crack and ooze goo all over messing your bike up.
The secret to battery happiness and long life is a charger that senses voltage and shuts off when the battery is charged. The little chaepoid 1 amp $14 wonders just keep on going-and-going-and-going…until the battery is all boiled dry then YOU will be going to get another battery. It’s “okay” to use one of these on a car because the battery there is 80 amp hours (group 27) and can easily dissipate the heat buildup once the battery is fully charged, but a 12 amp hour motorcycle battery can’t.
Also…the latest fuel injected Buells have electronic things, like FI computers and clocks that have power applied all the time, if there is no high voltage shutdown on the charger these things can get fried if the charger is left on for way too long. I had this crappy 1 amp Shauer non-automatic charger (it’s landfill now) that could build the voltage up to better than 30 volts if not disconnected after the battery was fully charged.
These chargers sense battery voltage and shut down when the battery is charged...
Battery Tender Plus...
Or a good charger at a cheaper price:
Hope this was helpful.
|Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 08:20 pm: ||
One of our locals left a charger on too long with the result of a fire that completely toasted an S1 and a 996, I think it was.
|Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 04:09 am: ||
a charger is like a alternator stop when the voltage is around 14.5V unless the battery is totally dead than its a different story
but basicly dont leave a charger on it over night ever.
|Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 08:27 am: ||
Battery "DEAD": replace(even if it will take a charge and hold it battery will only come up to
80% !!!) ...
PREVENTIVE MAINTANCE: Replace battery evey two years ... "WHY ???" You will never be on the side of the road in the middle of the DARKEST
NIGTH with a dead battery and your electrical
system will last a 100K plus !!!
(Message edited by buellistic on February 01, 2006)