G oog le BadWeB | Login/out | Topics | Search | Custodians | Register | Edit Profile

Buell Forum » XBoard » XB9 vs XB12 - which handles better? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tlrracer
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

New to Buells not to bikes. Have ridden/raced many different machines from NSR250Rs to Ducati 750s to TLRs all super fun. Im going to pull the trigger on a 9SX or 12S this month. My question is: which would handle better/be more fun in the twisters for an ex-racer?

Bartimus
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

They basically have the same chassis, so there is no difference between the two where handling is concerned.
The 9 revs higher, and therefore, seems quicker, but the 12 makes more power and torque.
Personally, I prefer the 9, I just like the powerband compared to the 12...

Froggy
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Assuming the same year on both, both will handle identically.

Same chassis, suspension, tires, etc. The differences are internals of the motor (longer stroke), and cosmetic bits like hand guards.

Tlrracer
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Super helpful. I gleaned as much from reading about XBs for two years but nice to hear it from you guys.

1_mike
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I've had my 12s for a "few" years. Along with an RX and an 1125CR.

The RX makes the most power, handles reasonably well.

The CR...just something about it..!?

The little XB12s, while under powered compared to the other two...the handling can't be matched by the other two. And even though it has a tougher time hauling my butt around (245lbs.), it gets me through Los Angeles morning and afternoon traffic much easier than either of the other two. And, more fun doing it, just because of its being so nimble/easy to change directions.

Mark me down for the 12, just because of the power. As said, the rest of the chassis is the same on both bikes.

Mike

Tlrracer
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2019 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Thanks Mike,
The 9 is an 08 and the 12 is an 07. I know they made changes to the 2008 engine. Is it a big enough diff to sway the conversation? Plus the bike I buy will have to carry 100 pounds less than your machine.

Tleighbell
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2019 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

a lot of people, me included, like the 9 engine in the S frame. Less torque and power but sweeter running. And you can add power if you want to. Also, there have been crank failures reported on the 07 1200 engine, not sure if it affects all models or just the Uly. Others with more experience will know more about the value of the engine upgrades on 2008. I understand the upgraded crank is more durable. I would personally go for the 08.

1_mike
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2019 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Yes, the newer engines have some better internal pieces than early engines, (oval ignition housing vs early, round ign. housing).
Though I'm not aware of of big changes between 07 and 08.

Again, XB wise, I don't know of any major chassis/frame changes that make the later chassis handle better than the early chassis. Just minor changes for air intake on the early frame, vs. a different intake on the later frame. No handling gains.

Power wins...I'd...always go for the power..!

Mike

Natexlh1000
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2019 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

There were a good number of enhancements that came from 2008 in the XB12.
Larger crankpin which raised the redline to the same as the XB9
DDFI3 with computer controlled idle and no TPS zeroing with computers.
Oil pump stacked on the top of the cams instead of at a right angle drive underneath.
"Jiffy tite" connectors for the oil lines.
I think this was the year that the transmission was changed to "dog ring" shifting.

Phelan
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

08 XB9 is a sweet and very rare bike. I would choose it over an 07 XB12 a hundred out of hundred times. I presume it is 08 XB9SX; I believe that is the only remaining XB9 model 08 and up. I would put a race pipe and race ECM on it (if not already done) and call it a day.

Phelan
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I've had 32 Buells, my personal bike is an XB9R, if that gives you a reference point.

I had and loved my EBR as well, but I don't need that kind of power and I replaced it with a much more practical and still extremely enjoyable late model GMC :P . My license is thankful for the change also.

Falloutnl
Posted on Wednesday, March 13, 2019 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

08 XB9 is a sweet and very rare bike. I would choose it over an 07 XB12 a hundred out of hundred times.

Interesting. I'm the complete opposite. Of course the added reliability of the '08 improvements is nice. But the engine feels quite different compared to the older ones. It was one of the reasons why I sold my '09 Scg, the motor just didn't do it for me.
« Previous Next »

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous" (Valid reason required. Abusers will be exposed. If unsure, ask.)
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Rules | Program Credits Administration