G oog le Buell 1125R Forum | Login/out | Topics | Search | Custodians | Register | Edit Profile

Buell Forum » 1125R Superbike Board » What happened to my front brake rotor? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 14, 2017Mope30 09-14-17  05:26 pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thefleshrocket
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Thanks, Mope. It might be a coincidence, but since the rotor I received doesn't seem to be straight, the ones for sale on Ebay could be from the "totally roached" batch. I'll just send this one back for a refund.

Nuts4mc
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

EBC not to be confused with EBR makes replacement disks for the front ...JC Whiitney used to sell them at fire sale prices...not anymore...they may be lower cost than a OEM disk from EBR:
https://www.amazon.com/EBC-Brakes-MD735RS-Standard -Replacement/dp/B00N41KP2K

hth

Willmrx
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I have a EBC front rotor on one of my 1125r and have put 4000 miles plus on it, and so far so good,

Yankeerl
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

amazon has a shop selling these for about 180.been debating trying one on my R. it has a pretty bad pulsation since i bought it

Terrys1980
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

That EBC rotor is about the ugliest thing ever seen but has more metal to dissipate heat.. I've used Galfer on both my previous Buells with no issues..

Thefleshrocket
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Thanks, Nuts.. that definitely helped. I had ordered one of the used 1125R rotors for $90 on Ebay, but the link you shared had a seller that had a new EBC rotor for $146, so I jumped on it and cancelled the Ebay order.

Thefleshrocket
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Dadams said: "I believe EBR (and Buell previously) stated that the bolts for the rotor were a one time use only item mainly due to the pre-applied loctite on them. It's white. I've not looked for that specific type, but in *theory* you could run a tap into each hole, spray cleaner in each one, clean the threads and then apply the proper type of loctite when re-assembling it."

I haven't had any luck finding the new hardware kit in stock, so I'm inclined to clean the existing mounting hardware, use some new Loctite, and let it ride. But apparently there is more than one type of "white Loctite".

There's Loctite 567. "Off-white, low disassembly strength methacrylate thread sealant, ideal for sealing coarse threads up to M80/R3”. UL approved."
http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/product-search-1554 .htm?nodeid=8797713629185

There's also Loctite 592. "LOCTITE® 592 Slow Cure Thread Sealant locks and seals threaded fittings. Parts may be repositioned up to 24 hours after application. Slow cure, high temperature." Says it's good up to 400F, which might be worthwhile for a brake rotor application.
http://www.na.henkel-adhesives.com/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797961093121

That said, I have always relied on blue (medium strength) Loctite unless another type is specified. Any objection to just using that stuff, if a concrete answer about the white stuff isn't forthcoming? EDIT: If my assumption is correct that the white Loctite is the "high temp" stuff, it would probably not be wise to use non-temperature-compliant stuff.

(Message edited by thefleshrocket on September 18, 2017)

D_adams
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I've asked, waiting on a reply back in regards to the Loctite equivalent.

Araignee
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

EBR shipped me a new mounting hardware kit last Friday.

Dieselmoto was waiting on the copper washers, but does have them in stock now and thus should also be able to ship the latest mounting hardware.

I've had good interactions with both of the above and try to use them when I can.

Given the operating conditions of the front rotor, I'd bet the high temp white Loctite is the right answer.
« Previous Next »

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous" (Valid reason required. Abusers will be exposed. If unsure, ask.)
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Rules | Program Credits Administration