G oog le Buell 1125R Forum | Login/out | Topics | Search | Custodians | Register | Edit Profile

Buell Forum » 1125R Superbike Board » Getting my CR back on the road « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeepinbueller
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

After close to 30k miles, I'm doing a major overhaul on my girl--with the recent sad news about our brand I figure she deserves it. The boards/forums have really slowed down recently so posting a follow-along will help others, and boy have I ran into some fun problems so far.

I've successfully separated the engine/swingarm and frame/forks. Along the way, the engine/swingarm/radiator assembly tipped forward on my jack out of the frame before I disconnected two things: rear O2 sensor wire and oil pressure sensor wire. Both snapped. Oops.

http://imgur.com/gekh0fd

http://imgur.com/hnnNJYs

Swingarm spools ziptied to the stand ... with a floor jack on the back as ballast. Working with what I have!
http://imgur.com/MqAijXE

I'm detailing everything, adding heat abatement to the frame and hopefully the headers, checking valve lash, and a bunch of other stuff. I'll detail the plan in a later post.

One question I have immediately is whether or not the instrument cluster will swap between an R and a CR in '09? Both have part numbers Y0500.2AMA, so I think I'm good. I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger.

D_adams
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

If you do anything to the headers, I'd recommend ceramic coating. All of it is relatively easy work from a maintenance perspective though. Just take your time, possibly a lot of pics if you're forgetful on where stuff goes and enjoy it. It's not hard to work on a Buell in general.

Clusters are the same.

Jeepinbueller
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Thanks Dean! I've got the IC on the way. Found it on Facebook of all places. I removed the headers and I'm dropping them off tomorrow morning to get ceramic coated. Shooting for a polished aluminum look, so we'll see. I'm trying to grab this RT-3 pipe of a guy as well—hopefully that works out. I'll be polishing it to match the headers.

I ordered a set of Pirelli Angel GTs and I'm looking forward to those. Going from the Pirelli Diablo III, and then a whole fleet of Michelins (coming off of the Pilot Road 4 right now), we'll see how long they last. I think I got 8k mi out of this set. I'm changing this next pair myself. It'll be the first time for me, but I'm tired of paying so much to have it done. Changing them and balancing with a stand doesn't seem difficult.

I also have some vinyl on the way. Thinking carbon fiber for the front fender and scoops, then replacing all the stickers. Should be fun to play with.

Here's the plan for the overhaul:

Front End:
• LED headlights
• Brake pads
• Rebuild caliper? - other than buying individual parts on TwinMotorcycle
to piece together a rebuild kit, I can't find a kit anywhere.
• Rotor hardware kit
• Rotor honed?

Engine:
• Oil & filter change
• New coolant
• Recharge K&N air filter
• Valve check - need to measure for valve shims. I guess I'll order individual V-rod shims.
• Thermo-Tech adhesive-backed heat shield for the inside of the tank and under the seat
• New exhaust? RT-3 or another Barkers
• New ECM or try to reprogram with Buelltooth and whaever program I need. I need to read
up and refresh my memory.

Rear End:
• Brake pads
• Restore signals
• Polish taillight lens
• New LED plate bulb
• Clean caliper

Body:
• Polish plastics
• Wrap fender/scoops
• New stickers

Misc:
• Paint wheels? Tired of scrubbing that finish.
• Clean everything real good
• Tires - Pirelli Angel GT (check)
- Tire irons
- Wheel weights
- Balancer stand

(Message edited by jeepinbueller on March 31, 2017)

Jeepinbueller
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Things are going well. Valve lash is measured for all eight shims, but I have a stupid question: how do you remove the cam follower clip that keeps them from sliding over? Can't seem to get the shims out without sliding the followers out of the way.

The manual is noticeably void here, but I'm assuming it falls under general mechanic's knowledge that I don't have just yet.

Willmrx
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

They snap on the cam follower rod, just pivot them 90 degrees and snap them off the rod. I use a flat bladed screw driver to pry them off, just be careful not to damage the cam follower.

hdjdhj

kdepe

jyfkghpu

(Message edited by willmrx on April 19, 2017)

Jeepinbueller
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Thanks, got those suckers. I was being too timid in there, afraid to break the retainers. Had to order an external micrometer because I forgot I didn't have one.

Most measurements came in extremely tight and I think I'll need eight new V-rod shims from the local dealer.

Willmrx
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I just ending up buying a Hot cams shim kit. It makes it a lot easier to get the specs right on. The kits cost from $50.00 to $70.00. The part # HCSHIM31 The way I check the shims is, I measure the gap, say exhaust is at .010, then I remove the shim and measure it, and then just pick a shim that is .003 thinner to get my .013 spec. Then I put the thinner shim in and remeasure the gap to make sure it is correct.

http://www.motoparthub.com/HCSHIM31_HOT_CAMS_Valve _Shim_Kits_And_Refill_Packages_Shim_Kit_10mm_Od?sr c=Google&gclid=CN3hkfiss9MCFYW2wAodFvgDMQ

(Message edited by willmrx on April 20, 2017)
« Previous Next »

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Post as "Anonymous" (Valid reason required. Abusers will be exposed. If unsure, ask.)
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Rules | Program Credits Administration