G oog le BadWeB | Login/out | Topics | Search | Custodians | Register | Edit Profile

Buell Forum » EBR & Buell in the News » HD CEO out after 5 year sales slump « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hughlysses
Posted on Friday, February 28, 2020 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/harley-davidson-ceo-out-at-struggling-motorcycle-maker/

Most interesting comment by former Buell/EBR platform manager on Twitter:

tweet

Shoggin
Posted on Saturday, February 29, 2020 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Anyone willing to ruin the livelihood of Americans, hurt a towns economy, and crush someones dreams, simply to avoid their own 'embarrassment' is a total POS.

Court
Posted on Saturday, February 29, 2020 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

That is an accurate statement.

Erik Buell could have saved Harley-Davidson and put them at the top of the heap foe decades to come.

Mnscrounger
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2020 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

He still could. They should offer him the job. (IMO the deal should include a huge signing bonus, an Iacocca/Chrysler sized stock deal, and a public apology from the board of HD for being so short-sighted.)

Court
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2020 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

The same “pride” that caused them to shit in their corporate mess kit ....precludes that.

But, you are dead accurate. Erik Buell has NEVER had more experience ....been more business savvy and smarter than he is today .

He’s had his teeth kicked in a couple times and come back stronger on each occasion. His ability to attract the best of the best and focus people toward a common goal like lasers .... is, and remains, incredible. There are many of us who would answer the call no matter the pay, hours, challenges or adversity. Erik has a way of finding and cultivating amazing talent and amplifying their talents.

Many of us take pride in our accomplishments ....not in what we have prevented others from achieving.

However......The Harley-Davidson corporate mentality precludes any such opportunity. I can think of about 12 folks I could have sitting inJuneau next week who could turn that aircraft carrier AND be cheered by 80% of the folks at Harley-Davidson.

Harley-Davidson had their chance ....it wasn’t a “long shot” it was a clear path and they screwed the pooch acting like snobs at a high screw prom.

Let’ em swim in their own shit.

Do I sound like I have a strong opinion?......hahahaha

P. S. - Lest someone be unclear of my thoughts .... I need to say that Harley-Davidson is plum chuck full of good, dedicated and smart folks. What they lack is vision and leadership.

Mnscrounger
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2020 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

There are a number of good folk on badweb whose "strong opinions" are entirely justified. Many good people had their lives and livelihood turned inside out by these corporate weenies.
Typical corporate tactics are what got them in the fix they're in. They have lost their way and forgotten the primary product is embodiment of a passion, the stirring of the soul, and a feeling of fraternity. For the company to monetize those things, the leadership must share those passions. Or I might as well buy a Yamaha. A solid reliable cruiser with absolutely no soul.

Ahampton128
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2020 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I wonder how many high up HD people from that era acknowledge how bad a decision killing/not selling Buell turned out to be?

Generalcuz
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2020 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

It will be interesting to see how this effort by Impala will affect their road ahead with trying to rebrand. I believe Impala's emphasis has been on a return to the old, with a target of the boomers and older folks, per Impala. To me, this sounds like a strategy to maximize ROI. Not exactly a long term development strategy. That pattern is what continues to hurt HD.

Mnscrounger
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

"I wonder how many high up HD people from that era acknowledge how bad a decision killing/not selling Buell turned out to be?"

Per Court's comment, I doubt any would publicly acknowledge the mistake. If I heard the behind the scenes numbers correctly, it was a shutdown cost in excess of $150 million. Most involved in the decision to burn that much money would always try justify it somehow, rather than admit stupidity.

" WE were up against the wall, we had no choice,.." etc.

Midknyte
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2020 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

How does Impala, with just a two percent ownership in HD, wield any power?

Ref
https://www.rideapart.com/articles/407852/weekend- wtf-investor-harley-davidson-roots/

Stevel
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 05:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I think Impala is correct. HD corporate has an abysmal record of innovation and acquisition. Their record is 100% failure of all foreign motorcycle manufacturing investments. That is really sad and very difficult to be 100% wrong all the time. You would think that at least sometimes luck would play its part.

I know Court professes to have inside knowledge. I certainly cannot argue over that. I just don't know, but I am also certain these corporate errors go deeper than just the top level decision makers. There have been very serious engineering mistakes made at HD and they belong on some engineer's desk. The Helenikon engine design was bastardized by HD. Rotax is a very professional design house with 100's of engine design successes under their belt. The errors I have identified would normally never have been allowed by Rotax. Some engineer or engineers at HD is/are responsible for all those errors. My point is this poor decision making obviously goes far deeper into corporate culture and until this can be rooted out, HD needs to stick with their traditional product line.

Court
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

For the record. . . .i have never professed “inside information” and specifically have non related to Harley-Davidson.

I do have some personal opinions, as a business person, and I’ve watched some of the stupid shit HD has done over the last 10 years of trying to find themselves.

I went from a time when I bought 9 Harley-Davidson in a year to the present where I wouldn’t keep one if they gave it to me.

Impala, with 2% of the stock, has enough to get some attention and control but I am unconvinced they’ve got the vision or the players.

An MBA ain’t gonna cut it here.

Blake
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2020 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Who was the other exec that campaigned against selling BMC?
« Previous Next »

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and custodians may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous" (Valid reason required. Abusers will be exposed. If unsure, ask.)
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Rules | Program Credits Administration