G oog le BadWeB | Login/out | Topics | Search | Custodians | Register | Edit Profile

Buell Forum » EBR & Buell in the News » Liquidation of Iconic EBR Motorcycle Factory « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through July 18, 2017Blake30 07-18-17  11:36 pm
Archive through June 23, 2017Ourdee30 06-23-17  01:13 pm
Archive through June 18, 2017Zac4mac30 06-18-17  09:22 pm
Archive through June 11, 2017Court30 06-11-17  10:01 am
Archive through June 07, 2017Hybridmomentspass30 06-07-17  07:54 pm
Archive through June 02, 2017Snacktoast30 06-02-17  11:25 am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hughlysses
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 07:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I'd assume the EBR IP that LAP is currently attempting to sell includes these designs. It's a pity nobody's come forward to buy them. As someone suggested earlier, odds are any manufacturer that wants to build bikes like this either already is building them, or they already have their own design teams working.

Court
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Let's turn around and look at this from another perspective.

Who would have any interest in purchasing the EBR IP?

Why?

Raceautobody
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

BRP
It would jump start their efforts.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rumors/brp-motorc ycle-business/

Hughlysses
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Who would have any interest in purchasing the EBR IP?

Why?

KTM's got their new range of middle weights ready for production. BMW and Triumph already have such bikes. Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki already have middleweight bikes. I can't imagine Harley ever building such a thing.

Hero might like to have a ~600cc middleweight, but since they apparently haven't been able to go from 99.97% complete to 100% complete on the EBR-designed 250 in the space of 2 years, my bet is they wouldn't have the ability to build the bikes with the complete designs in hand.

Who's left? Some Chinese or Korean manufacturer most of us haven't heard of? Cleveland Motorcycles? I suspect a middleweight would be too big of a jump in complexity and size over what they've got.

Considering that, BRP seems like the one likely candidate.

Ffbuell1
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Court, To answer your question of who would buy E.B.R. IP, and why? well if Harley Davidson and that is a BIG IF had any sense they would beg Erik to come work for them and this time let him build what he want's and stop dictating what he can and can not build.. look at how H.D. stock keeps dropping as they continue to lower their new bike production #s. Harley MUST come out with a much more diversified line up to be competitive.I do not think they realize just how many people they shunned when they shut down Buell, and when they owned them we all are (or should be) aware of the road blocks they put in front of Erik. Harley talks about reaching out to women and minorities (which is great) but they show zero interest in reaching out to anyone in regard to making anything other than what they make.. and have also done a poor job of reaching out to conquest customers, An example of this is that I work in a multi line dealership, non Harley, and when the subject of Harley's come up this is what I hear time and again.,Harley's are way to expensive they cost $25,000 or they all leak oil ,,and break down as well as they are too slow and heavy. to me this proves that they have listened only to their core customers and no one else, they need to target the 18-30 year old crowd and make some $8,000 to $12,000 bikes like Yamaha FZ 700 or FZ FJ 900 and that is where they could use Erik Buell's expertise because I am sure Harley could not do this them selves Oh and in closing has any one else seen how Indian is kicking H.D.'s butt in racing? don't think that doesn't matter.

Oddball
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Ffbuell1,
8-12K? "We at HD have that covered with our Street and Sportster lines"

You know that's what they'd say.

My 15 year old nephew wants an Iron 883. I keep trying to point him in the direction of tubers like have been popping up for sale on here recently. not sure if he's even listening to me. But i've got a year or few to work on him. He'll be riding my 25 year old Bandit as his first bike like his father did before him.

Crusty
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Has anybody here read Cycle World's comparison of the Street Rod and the FZ-07? The FZ was faster, but not by much. I can think of quite a few reasons why someone might choose a Street Rod over an FZ. I can also think of quite a few reasons why someone would choose an FZ over the Street Rod. It all depends on what features you find more attractive.

And while everybody is gushing over how the Indians are beating the Harleys on the Dirt Tracks; the only people who have Indians are the factory team. Harleys are available to any legitimate race team. And an XR 750 beat the Indians to claim a Gold Medal at the X games last week.

As far as the slump in Harley sales, it that slump just in H-D sales, or is it a slump in industry sales? If H-D sales are down 5%, but the overall market is down 7 or 8%, then Harley might be doing better than some others.

All I know is that, so long as I can figure a way to do it, my next bike will hopefully be an 1190SX.

Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

the only people who have Indians are the factory team.

Ahem...

They are available.

Limited quantity for those with an 'unlimited' budget, however - but they are 'available'...

Yeah, I'd buy a bunch of 1190SX's before I spend $50 large on a real race bike.

See what I did there?!?! ; )

Midknyte
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 01:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I've read that the slump is industry wide, and as you postulate, HD is not doing that too badly when all things are equalled.

Ffbuell1
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Oddball.
8-12K We at H.D. have that covered Yes they do but they for the most part have antiquated performance and 2" of rear wheel travel and are 100-150 lbs. heavier than the competition. And yes Crusty it seems for the time being that the only one's riding Indian's are the factory riders ,but my point is right now they are dominating H.D's factory effort. And to answer your question is it just Harley in a slump ? NO it is an industry wide slump , and in my opinion if H.D. wants to be successful going forward they must come up with new exciting affordable cutting edge bikes ,I know the faithful H.D. riders and probably the top brass at Harley don't want to hear that ,but many Harley riders (myself included and potential ones) would very much embrace that And Crusty if you can find a way to grab an 1190 SX I hope you can they are a great bike I love mine.

Buelliedan
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

The Harley "Streets" are a total piece of crap. From dealers I have talked with they are lucky to sell 1 every 3 months per dealer. Overpriced, underpowered and the build quality is horrible.

Johndd
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

The Harley "Streets" are a total piece of crap...Overpriced, underpowered and the build quality is horrible.

I actually learned on a street 500. Very cheap looking.... Preferred the Sportster...ended up with a Buell instead.

Electraglider_1997
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Actually the new Harley Street Rod 750 is a nice looking bike. It could use fully adjustable front forks and rear shocks though. Sometimes I think these manufacturers short sheet these bikes when they'd be better off going the extra mile and giving something extra.

Williamscottrobertson
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2017 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Yeah I could see short sheeting the 500 since it sadly took the place of the Blast in riders edge, but the 750 should be loaded with the nice stuff.

Hughlysses
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

It would have been interesting to see the bikes Erik could have come up with using those 500/750 water cooled V-twins.

Greg_e
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Problem is that people bought the Blast, not so much for the Street models. But I do want one, but want it to make a Cafe.

Midknyte
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2017 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

The Street looks (relatively) good in pictures, but go sit on the damn thing.
The tank is so low that it feels like a scooter, even on the Rod.

There is admittedly no reason for me to want or care about it. I just find that off-putting.
« Previous Next »

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and custodians may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous" (Valid reason required. Abusers will be exposed. If unsure, ask.)
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Rules | Program Credits Administration