G oog le BadWeB | Login/out | Topics | Search | Custodians | Register | Edit Profile

Buell Forum » Big, Bad & Dirty (Buell XB12X Ulysses Adventure Board) » Interesting new sound from the Uly - can anyone identify? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through November 12, 2017Etennuly30 11-12-17  12:26 pm
Archive through August 11, 2017Rdkingryder30 08-11-17  09:46 am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ourdee
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Roelf, Suggestion on nicks in powder coat on front rim; Find fingernail polish that matches to use for touch-up.

Falloutnl
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Roelf, Suggestion on nicks in powder coat on front rim; Find fingernail polish that matches to use for touch-up.

Thanks man, was wondering what to do with those two spots, I'll give that a go.

I haven’t tried it, but I read somewhere you can make a good locking tool from a section of a broken belt and a piece of wood. Wrap the piece of wood around the sprocket and screw the ends to the wood. It shouldn’t be too hard to work out something along those lines.

And this as well! Thanks.

------------------------

Bearing assembly looks good Etennuly. Probably telling that is was beefed up.

Etennuly
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I don't have mine apart yet. According to a very helpful lengthy conversation with Lance at St Paul HD, it was determined that this new style combined bearing and spacer became the standard after some date in early 06.

The load bearing capability of this one I would think could handle several times the load. The incorporated spacer transfers a large part of its load to the inner row of ball bearings. Where you see the ball bearings in my picture, there is a second row on the other side.

I don't see a failure in the future of this new bearing assembly from its normal loading. I am excited to see if mine has the old separated type and how this fits in its place.

Going to be a couple of weeks before I get back to this job. I will take pics and report back when I get there.

Natexlh1000
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2017 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

LOL makes sense why I couldn't pull out the "spacer" with my thumb and forefinger.

Etennuly
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

So Nate, your bike has this upgraded larger number of balls one piece assembly then?

Natexlh1000
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2017 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I guess so. I dug out the 2008 manual and there it was clear as day.
Yeeesss I know I should have had the book open on my lap before touching the bike (But I'm dumb).

I drove it to work today in the lovely 34F drizzle and it ran fine.
I really think it was the tires now.
They're not much better than rim protectors now : )
I had to be really gentile with the control inputs. Spun the rear in second - woke me right up and went to tiptoe mode!

Etennuly
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Ha! I guess sometimes it could be possible to have what sounds like a bad tire actually be a bad tire! but who would have thunk it?!?

Falloutnl
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 04:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Not something you dare hope with a Uly, no.
« Previous Next »

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and custodians may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous" (Valid reason required. Abusers will be exposed. If unsure, ask.)
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Rules | Program Credits Administration