G oog le BadWeB | Login/out | Topics | Search | Custodians | Register | Edit Profile

Buell Forum » Big, Bad & Dirty (Buell XB12X Ulysses Adventure Board) » Interesting new sound from the Uly - can anyone identify? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through August 11, 2017Rdkingryder30 08-11-17  09:46 am

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Electraglider_1997
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I wish I'd of seen this earlier. It is just the mating call of the wild ULY.

D_adams
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthread.php?49513- swapping-output-shaft-5th-gear-bearing&p=548319&vi ewfull=1#post548319

This has got to be one of the better write-ups I've run across for replacing the output shaft bearing without splitting the cases. Really wish I'd found it before I tore mine completely apart a few years ago.

Griffmeister
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 02:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

That was very nicely done. That pulley holder is a lot simpler than the one that I made. A lot of well made special tools, what surprised me was all the neat tools carefully machined then the bearing pullers looked like they were hand ground. They worked, that's what counts. Wish I could have done something so simple but I had to split my cases for a bad tranny. Oh well.

Tootal
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I think it's your tranny output bearing. The reason it doesn't make noise in the lower gears is because it takes more rpm to get it to sing. The bearing is brinelled and it's basically the balls running over potholes. As the rpm increases so does the sound. You notice that it's rear wheel rpm related and not engine rpm related.
We overhauled a centrifuge that had bearings 14" in diameter. The new bearings had been sitting in a cabinet for years with the constant vibration of the surrounding equipment. After the overhaul was over we fired it up. Take that sound from your video and multiply it by 100!! You could not stand to be inside that building from all the noise.

Etennuly
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

I guess it is my turn! As I got to BITA 7, i was hearing a new noise. Described in another forum accurately a sound like a dirt bike knobby tire being run on pavement flat at speed. It got worse as i rode it around the Spruce Pine area. Made it home without incident. Got it out to do a little ride yesterday and noise after five miles turned me back.

The actual output shaft bearing replacement is not a big deal. Have not ordered parts yet. Looks like a couple of hours and four beers!

Woodnbow
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

the above method is only an option for pre-08 years. 08 and up have a different output bearing. Why oh why couldn't Buell have used a trapdoor/cartridge trans like any thoughtful engineer would have?

Steveford
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

H-D said structural integrity, everyone else said cost savings.

Etennuly
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

Buell probably said less parts/fasteners/gaskets/labor/etc

Falloutnl
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Custodian/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Custodian/Admin only)

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthread.php?49513- swapping-output-shaft-5th-gear-bearing&p=548319&vi ewfull=1#post548319

This has got to be one of the better write-ups I've run across for replacing the output shaft bearing without splitting the cases. Really wish I'd found it before I tore mine completely apart a few years ago.

Yeah, this is probably our next step.

Why oh why couldn't Buell have used a trapdoor/cartridge trans like any thoughtful engineer would have?

Yeah, it's bullshit having something that morphs simple transmission problems into write off the bike problems for the less mechanically inclined.

Sorry to hear you've encountered some issues as well Etennuly.

(Message edited by falloutnl on September 21, 2017)
« Previous Next »

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and custodians may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous" (Valid reason required. Abusers will be exposed. If unsure, ask.)
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Rules | Program Credits Administration